Car running when setting gains with DMM?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MellowHype
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Yes or no?

Seems obvious now i think of it that the car should be running when setting gains since thats the only time it'l see 14 volts, but i dont think i have had engine running previously.

Not too sure how much it would have effected my settings :/

if the car is on, the voltage rails on the amp will be higher and you will be able to get more power out of the amp. if the car is running you use the 14.4V power ratings.

but our voltage can drop down to battery float voltage, so we want to be aware of the limitations of our systems at lower voltage. if you set gains at 12V then you use the 12V ratings.

if the car is on, the voltage rails on the amp will be higher and you will be able to get more power out of the amp. if the car is running you use the 14.4V power ratings.
but our voltage can drop down to battery float voltage, so we want to be aware of the limitations of our systems at lower voltage. if you set gains at 12V then you use the 12V ratings.
Okay so my amp does 1000rms @ 1 ohm - 14.4v

So 1 x 1000 = 1000

square root = 31.62, so thats my voltage?

Im a little confused as to how thats lower than when i was running a single 12 @ 700 rms @ 2 ohms... the voltage for that is 37.

So is 31.62 right for 1000 @ 1 ohm? powering 2 x subwoofers

Its just i was expecting to be turning the gain up not down

Okay so my amp does 1000rms @ 1 ohm - 14.4vSo 1 x 1000 = 1000

square root = 31.62, so thats my voltage?

Im a little confused as to how thats lower than when i was running a single 12 @ 700 rms @ 2 ohms... the voltage for that is 37.

So is 31.62 right for 1000 @ 1 ohm? powering 2 x subwoofers

Its just i was expecting to be turning the gain up not down
Because the higher the ohm load is, the more voltage is needed to output.

Because the higher the ohm load is, the more voltage is needed to output.
Ah right. Well i hope i havent done any damage to my amp or subs. my gains weren't changed from 37volts, i didnt play at full volume for too long though.

Ah right. Well i hope i havent done any damage to my amp or subs. my gains weren't changed from 37volts, i didnt play at full volume for too long though.
Also, I believe it's best to set the gains with the alternator's highest voltage possible to avoid overpowering the speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.