Car electrical problems, Suggestions on tackling this issue?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jookya

Michigan
I have been working on my system for over a year, a single problem has steadily loomed over my head while not until recently noticeable if my deck didnt have a voltage display on it. Lately my lights have started to dim on heavy bass.

I have an arc KS1200.1 amp @1 ohm putting out 1000wrms, it is pushing a 12" PSI recone of a '05 re xxx.

I have a sundown sax 100.4 pushing a set of dyn comps and some 6x9 fills. at 100wrms per channel.

Wired up with 0/1 gauge CCA, grounded to frame, with big 3 done in 1gauge copper wire. Fused at 200amps off the battery, to a junction box, then fused again before the amps.

I have a custom built ohio generators 180amp alternator currently fused with a 150a ANL fuse.

I have always had a heavy(.4v~) drop when turning on headlights, along with addition similar drops in voltage for car accessories stacking up. This was before the big 3, ohio generator alt etc.

This amounts to below 12v when at a light with foot on brake and signal on and headlights at low idle. The stereo(music) itself amount to less voltage drop on maximum volume than just turning on the headlights. This problem existed with the stock 60amp alternator on the same system, and i still get drops in voltage with the new Ohio Generators alternator, and big 3, new battery, etc.

I did take all the grounds i could find and scrape the paint away and wire brushed the screws and put them back in. I also know that I should run a wire from the system to the battery for ground(but i doubt that will change voltage drop from headlights.

I'm trying to get the headlights and car accessories to stop drawing so much voltage. Is my issue a bad ground? Could a faulty relay or fuse box be the issue? Why are my headlights starting to dim when I never had an issue before this month, even on 60a alternator?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Oh also my car seems to slow down like im letting off the gas alittle when bass hits hard, for every beat. Its very slight but is my car having trouble sparking or something ? or are the sound waves slowing my little 2200lb car down?

that would resolve the headlights dimming and car seeming to slow down maybe.

the headlights and accessories causing voltage drop(with or without stereo) is the issue i really would like to fix though. I don't like dropping below 12v everytime im waiting at a light.

Lately my lights have started to dim on heavy bass.
Oh also my car seems to slow down like im letting off the gas alittle when bass hits hard, for every beat. Its very slight but is my car having trouble sparking or something ? or are the sound waves slowing my little 2200lb car down?
To answer these 2 things you are killing your battery. Everytime it goes dead you're system is forced to run completely off the alternator which begins robbing power from all the other electrical equipment in the vehicle. Such as the headlights and fuel pump. Which is why your head lights dim and you're car starts to stall.

I have AGM battery already... My battery isnt dying, the headlights and accessories cause voltage drop on a full charge, car on or off, stereo on or off. this has been happening with 3 different batteries, both the 60a and 180a alternators and big 3 upgrade.

Nothing seems to change the headlights dropping the voltage by .4v and other accessories by almost as much. this happens when going down the road with alternator maxxing out at 180a.

What kind of wire ends should I get to use as ground connections?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.