Car Audio & Electronics Magazine looking for an Editor in Chief

Hi guys,

I'm with Formation Media, the new owners of Car Audio and Electronics Magazine. We just acquired CA&E from the previous owners who took it out of print, and we are hard at work under the hood, working on restoring it to its former glory by bringing it back to life online. (The site is still a mess right now - please be patient.)

Anyway, in order to bring back CA&E, we need to hire an awesome Editor in Chief. If you're a serious car audio expert AND you think you have the chops to write for us and manage a team of writers, we'd love to hear from you. The full job description is posted at the bottom of this post.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this in, but it wasn't clear where "industry job openings" should be posted. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif We think CA&E can do a lot to support the mobile audio industry, and we're hoping to get as much feedback as possible both before and after we relaunch it, so I'd love to hear your feedback in general as well.

Thanks everyone,

Joel, Product Guy

Formation Media

Job Description

Formation Media is looking for a passionate Editor who is an expert in the consumer car audio space to lead the re-launch of Car Audio and Electronics Magazine in an online format. The successful candidate will determine the editorial strategy for the site, build and manage a team of freelancers, write articles, and work with other team members to build a thriving car audio content and community website.

Job functions

As the Editor in Chief, you will be expected to:

• Build a scalable editorial strategy for caraudiomag.com and establish the site’s tone and voice

• Work with Head of Product to guide the product strategy for the site

• Hire and manage freelance writers and photographers for product and event coverage

• Write feature articles and do in-person coverage

• Curate user contributions to augment the site’s content offering

• Interact with the site’s users online and keep them engaged

• Manage a weekly newsletter

• Stay abreast of developments in the car audio space

• Attend trade shows and industry events as necessary

• Establish and maintain relationships with representatives at car audio manufacturers and installers

Requirements

• Thorough knowledge of the car audio space

• Extensive writing experience with solid grasp of grammar, punctuation, and style

• Experience managing a team

• Online publishing experience preferred

• Industry connections are a huge plus

• Community management skills are a plus

if I'm reading it correctly, it will just be an online magazine?

I subscribed a while back, got one issue and was told they wouldn't be printing any more...it would be nice to have it back in print

Indeed, the revival will be online-only. With print magazine costs as they are these days, we're focusing on the online model which we believe will have a lot of benefits, most notably the ability for the community to give feedback, interact, and share, and we can offer accessories like iPhone apps that help you read CA&E wherever is most convenient. We'll also have some other car audio-related features you won't find anywhere else online, but I won't go into detail on that yet. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Hope it works for you, but online only has too many competitors and not enough revenue.

I would rather see a rebirth of the actual magazine even if the subscription rate went back to the old $19.95 from the mid 90's.

Best of luck.

good luck but unless you can stomp these CA forums into the ground, forums is where its at. tons of reviews, pics, event coverage, info etc. us little bloggers are taking over

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

nauc,

I'm not sure about that - I think there's definitely room for all of us to coexist. There are some things that forums like this one kick ass at, and I think we'll bring some new stuff to the table that the car audio fans out there will also appreciate. It's all good. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Joel

One suggestion.

It would be great if you posted all the past years of "Buyers Guides" from the old magazine on the site, maybe in .pdf by year.

That was a major fail on the part of the former publisher.

good luck but unless you can stomp these CA forums into the ground, forums is where its at. tons of reviews, pics, event coverage, info etc. us little bloggers are taking over
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If it's not 99% for bassheads, does product reviews and driver auditions where it can use any descriptive terms besides 'harsh', 'bright', 'smooth', and 'mad thump' to assess speaker performance, and people don't have to wade through 6000 posts full of spam and pics of people eating poo to find useful info, I think it could conceivably bring something new to the table that the forums do not.

One suggestion.
It would be great if you posted all the past years of "Buyers Guides" from the old magazine on the site, maybe in .pdf by year.

That was a major fail on the part of the former publisher.
X2 Print is cool, but I would rather read it online to be honest. Put it online as well and charge less per month as an option for new issues. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.