Car amplifier help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Trevor23

Hi. My sister just gave me an amp and a sub for my car about a month ago. I bought the necessary supplies to put it in. I have done this once before for my friend and it worked perfectly. I set it all up, turned it on , and nothing. The amp was stuck in protection mode. I just bought a new amp and plugged it in. Again no sound. I have never heard the sub actually work but the cone flexes and it has a reasonable resistance of 4 ohms. Even if it was blown I measured the output voltage of the amp and got .003v ( I measured this using ac setting because it should be an audio signal). The amp is not in protection mode and powered up fine. Next I checked my RCA cables. I admit that I didn't buy RCA cables for this, so for me I saw it as a reasonable problem. To make it I took a short 4ft RCA cable and split it into 2 halves that I extended using signal wire from an HDMI cable. So I checked it's continuity and one of my cables shielding was broken. I fixed the cable and it should be perfectly fine. Sadly the only thing that I can think of is that my radio is broken. I bought 5 months ago and I really do not want this to be the case. I measured the voltage of the output RCA terminals on the radio and I still get .006v. I have measured this on dc and ac setting hoping to get a measurement. I have quadruple checked everything and the sub setting on my radio is in fact on as well as the sub output level is up. I cannot figure out what is wrong with my setup. If anyone could give me any tips or solutions would be amazing. Thank you.

Hi. My sister just gave me an amp and a sub for my car about a month ago. I bought the necessary supplies to put it in. I have done this once before for my friend and it worked perfectly. I set it all up, turned it on , and nothing. The amp was stuck in protection mode. I just bought a new amp and plugged it in. Again no sound. I have never heard the sub actually work but the cone flexes and it has a reasonable resistance of 4 ohms. Even if it was blown I measured the output voltage of the amp and got .003v ( I measured this using ac setting because it should be an audio signal). The amp is not in protection mode and powered up fine. Next I checked my RCA cables. I admit that I didn't buy RCA cables for this, so for me I saw it as a reasonable problem. To make it I took a short 4ft RCA cable and split it into 2 halves that I extended using signal wire from an HDMI cable. So I checked it's continuity and one of my cables shielding was broken. I fixed the cable and it should be perfectly fine. Sadly the only thing that I can think of is that my radio is broken. I bought 5 months ago and I really do not want this to be the case. I measured the voltage of the output RCA terminals on the radio and I still get .006v. I have measured this on dc and ac setting hoping to get a measurement. I have quadruple checked everything and the sub setting on my radio is in fact on as well as the sub output level is up. I cannot figure out what is wrong with my setup. If anyone could give me any tips or solutions would be amazing. Thank you.
Grab a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and plug your ipod or phone directly into the amp. This will at least let you know the amp works.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.