Cap...

Participant count
  • Participant list

fu-man-chu
10+ year member

I just bout a 1 Farad cap and thought my lights would stop dimming but it seems I was wrong(or I may have it tooked up wrong) My questions are how would you properly hook 1 up?(incase i have it wrong) Also is the next step a bigger battery or a bigger alternator?

Thanks for the help.......

Firstly, if your lights are dimming, a cap was the wrong piece to add to your setup. As I have pointed out here several times, caps are too often used as band-aids to cover up a struggling charging system. Bottom line- if your alternator cant keep up, what good is a cap?

An alternator upgrade should have been your first undertaking, as it should be now.

A cap will benefit a system that has no chargin problems by doing what it is designed to- provide intermittant extra (stored/reserve) current to the amplifiers during a breif musical burst- IE. A low bass note.

A cap installs inline right before the amplifier on its power wire. It also has a ground, and in some cases, a remote wire for activation.

Basically - it hooks up just like an amp would- save for the RCA and speaker connections.

Go for the Alternator Upgrade, and this issue will trouble you no more.

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.