Can't Get Radio Out Of Taurus. Help

pkilla21
10+ year member

I can't get the radio in 01 Taurus. I have the U-Shaped tool but can't get it out. Is it a certain way of pulling or pushing? It sometimes sounds like I'm ****ing **** up inside. I've seen it done before but I just can't get it to come out. Anyone suggestions are very much appreciated.

Does it have like a plastic trim surround going around it and the heater controls? not sure what the inside of a Taurus looks like. I have a 2000 F-150 and could not get the factory HU to come out with the U shaped tools, then found out you have to pull off the plastic trim first, it then came right out.

Its the aftermarket one. I got it when I got a Pioneer Head Unit put in. There isn't a plastic lining around to the heater controls either.

if using the u-shaped brackets, push them in all the way and then push them outwards toward the doors while pulling towards you. worked for me:)

i have the same car... go from underneith the dash, look directly next to the HU (this will work for aftermarket or OEM) find the v-shaped clips that hold it in, now you can do one of two things, re-align them to the holes so you can use the DIN (u-shaped thing) tool to remove it, or just squeeze them (they squeeze horizontally, once you see them you'll know what im talking about) and it'll pop right out.

do your self a favor though, before you put it back in, make sure the clips are re-aligned as close as you can get them so you don't have to go from under the dash everytime. ESPECIALLY if you're using the cheap aftermarket dash piece, because the plastic bracket that holds the V-shaped clip will break. then you'll have to spend 75 dollars on a new dash piece.

sorry for the long winded response. and hope you understood it.

Use allen keys, That are a little bigger than the U tool, and it will come right out, If You have the u tools, Do it like someone elseo mentiones, Push them in all the way, and push them outwards, Or even inwards, Jsut wiigle them around and pull, It should pop out, If not PRYBAR? lol

Use allen keys, That are a little bigger than the U tool, and it will come right out, If You have the u tools, Do it like someone elseo mentiones, Push them in all the way, and push them outwards, Or even inwards, Jsut wiigle them around and pull, It should pop out, If not PRYBAR? lol
this will also work, i believe you pull them outwards.

what happened was when it was originally installed, someone didn't tighten the v-shaped clip tight enough, and it became mis-aligned, making it impossible to use that tool. and the Taurus dash kit is a huge POS, that doesn't help either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

pkilla21

10+ year member
pkilla21
chicago, il
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from