can you sum two line signals with just a Y-splitter?

Participant count
  • Participant list

idealrides

I'm trying to get a full range front signal out of a factory amplifer which has an internal fixed crossover. Basically there are 3.5" mid/tweets on the dash and woofers in the doors, and I want to put a LOC on each and then combine them with a splitter before my aftermarket amp (JL 300/2)

I know it can be done with an AudioControl LC8 which has has a "channel summing" feature but I'd rather not have to buy it if I don't really need it.

Has anyone tried this before?

No I want to combine two line level signals (one of which is carrying high frequencies, the other has low frequencies) into one signal which will carry a full range signal.

To physically combine the two wires I know I could use a Y-splitter cable, where the two inputs would go in to the Y and come out on one output.

The question is if this is a "bad" thing to do, considering there would be two AC signals joining together. I would assume as long as the phases are in sync, which of course they would be, then it would be OK, but I'm not sure.

To physically combine the two wires I know I could use a Y-splitter cable, where the two inputs would go in to the Y and come out on one output.
The question is if this is a "bad" thing to do, considering there would be two AC signals joining together.
--

Things you shouldn't do: A y-cable should NOT be used to connect 2 outputs from a head unit, EQ, or other device. It cannot be used to mix 2 signals together to provide a single non-fading output. If 2 outputs are connected together (via a y-cable) and they don't match EXACTLY, one output will be trying to drive the other to match itself. This will likely not damage anything but WILL likely cause the output signal to be distorted.

n2audio, thank you for providing that reference. I came across that exact quote while searching for an answer before posting this question, but I decided to ask anyway because this principle may not apply (I hope) to the problem I'm asking about.

You see, the signals that I want to mix together are for the most part a completely different signal being that they are distinct frequency ranges, and if there is a small range that does overlap (depending on the internal unidentified crossover points) these signals should be exactly similar, so maybe there would not be any distortion created.

What kind of vehicle do you have? With some factory amplified systems, you can still use a LOC behind the head unit before the amplifier, where the signal is full range.

Kae, it's a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. Unfortunately the line level signal from the Nav headunit to the amp in the trunk is not volume controlled, the volume is sent digitally to the amp over the car's data network. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.