Can water effect my ground?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mindspin311
10+ year member

I got part of my system installed about a week ago and I had no engine noise, meaning I had a good ground and all. But it has rained a few days this week, and everytime it rains I get a little "whirring" noise from my left tweeter. Could the water be effecting the ground at all? Or do you have any other idea why this is only happening when it rains out.

please do not post replys that have nothing to do w/ the topic to raise your post count.....thanks

anyways...so it only happens when it rains.......is there any way that water could be getting to the ground of the amp or in the tweeter area perhaps????

Have you actually looked at the grounds when it's raining and you hear the noise?

If the tweeters are in your A-pillar, maybe there's a small leak and the rain is getting in the tweeter somehow?

Originally posted by Gauntlet If the tweeters are in your A-pillar, maybe there's a small leak and the rain is getting in the tweeter somehow?
This is what I'm guessing...where are your grounds located?

- Steve

My tweeters are in the dash, I highly doubt that water is getting in there. So my only other guess is that its hitting the ground for my amp, can water cause this to happen is what I really need to know. I havent had the time to get under my car, I had the install done at a local shop, its gonna rain all weekend so if it keeps up I will go there monday and have them take a look and maybe move it to a more dry location. So the main question that needs to be answered is... can the noise be caused by the water hitting the ground?

bump, help me out guys, also it seems that Im getting some static from my left tweeter too, could a bad connection at the x over or on the amp be the culprit?

Chances are your car takes in too much water when it's raining and it causes your belts to slip, thereby causing strain on your engine which causes strain on the alternator which causes whining in the speakers. It's possible. What kind of car do you have and do you notice if it runs sluggish in the rain? You might want to change out your air filiter and put some belt dressing on your fan belts. Might help, and it certainly can't hurt.

Originally posted by eengrms Chances are your car takes in too much water when it's raining and it causes your belts to slip, thereby causing strain on your engine which causes strain on the alternator which causes whining in the speakers. It's possible. What kind of car do you have and do you notice if it runs sluggish in the rain? You might want to change out your air filiter and put some belt dressing on your fan belts. Might help, and it certainly can't hurt.
The engine is fine when it rains. I drive a 1995 Blazer, 4 DR.

Originally posted by Mindspin311 The engine is fine when it rains. I drive a 1995 Blazer, 4 DR.
Hmmm... The only thing I can think of then is some sort of interference fromy our windshield wiper system. Do you notice if it does it whether or not the wipers are on?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.