Can the eD K handle this?

karter74
10+ year member

Ok guys I have a real problem here. I just ordered a JBL 600.1 amp to power 1 eD K 12". Is this just way too much for the sub to handle cause I'm really scared about blowing the sub. This is gonna be a daily driver sub so I definately don't want it to blow. They have a 3 year warranty so should I even worry? Again, maybe I should just turn the gains way down?

did you already order the sub? im sure theres a coil configuration to meet ur 4 ohm demand.. Otherwise... I think it will take 600 gains down, and u not being a volume *****.. Just know ur limitations and dont exceeed them..

blowing the subs due to overpowering (i.e. burnt VC) is not covered under warranty. Burnt subs mean bad insall, user error. Did you order the 12k.14 or 12k.44?

If 12k.14, you should be safe. (about 300w@4ohms)

If 12k.44, I'm sure the subs would be able to take it, but I wouldn't bump for too long, or put it in a small box to reduce efficiency. Also, you might want to go for a 8ohm load by wiring it in series to drop power to 150w from the amp.

Ok, I called eD and they were very nice about it. Since they are actually out of the 12.44 (I'm lucky) I changed the order to a 12.14. They even said that they would send it out today!! Thanks eD!

Yup, very nice company, aren't they? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Alright, so now you've got the 4ohm SVC version instead. That'd be about 325~350w@4ohms(JBL is under rated) which is a good thing.

WHat kind of box are you gonna drop it into? A large ported box might get you some very desirable results. To be safe, follow eD's recommended enclosure, they know what they are talking about and the box should have been matched to compliment their recommended power.

600w woulda been fine...just dont be a gain wh0re and it would work fairly well...although 350w is fine for it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

- pe@ce

I plan on getting a sealed box and they recommend a 1 cf box. I know you guys frown upon this, but I'm getting a 1 cf box off of ebay. I'm actually installing all of this in a friends car (he bought everything) and he lives in another state so he is buying everything now so when I come to visit I can install it. The box doesn't have the same specs but it does come out to be 1 cf, does it matter?

I plan on getting a sealed box and they recommend a 1 cf box. I know you guys frown upon this, but I'm getting a 1 cf box off of ebay. I'm actually installing all of this in a friends car (he bought everything) and he lives in another state so he is buying everything now so when I come to visit I can install it. The box doesn't have the same specs but it does come out to be 1 cf, does it matter?
So long as the box is identical in volume and is sealed properly (buy a tube of silicone on the way to his house), then it won't matter what shape it is.

Actually, if a person is going sealed, I dont see the big problem in getting a prefab. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Just reinforce the box.

Yup, very nice company, aren't they? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Alright, so now you've got the 4ohm SVC version instead. That'd be about 325~350w@4ohms(JBL is under rated) which is a good thing.

WHat kind of box are you gonna drop it into? A large ported box might get you some very desirable results. To be safe, follow eD's recommended enclosure, they know what they are talking about and the box should have been matched to compliment their recommended power.
Under rated? Depends on who you talk to. Remember that one big post regarding the bp1200.1 and how the power output of it steadily dropped as the amp aged. The guy stated that it was made cheaply, but then admitted what do you expect for a little over $200. But then there is the opposing side that states amps do not lose power. THe guy must have been testing it wrong. And then the guy said that he knows a lot about amps and asked one of his teachers ( I believe a professor) about his test and the professor said that he did the tests correctly. He also has his install checked out by professionals and they said nothing was wrong with his install and he still had problems with the amp. THis is the crap that kept me from buying a JBL amp, along with the problems that I had with their gto subs.

"under rated or over-rated"

Power is not supreme when you talk of amps, else hammer strength would be tops, no questions asked.

Again, I say JBL's are under rated. Don't think you should challenge me on this one too.

They are underrated. I got my old JBL 600.1(sold to wonderbreads' friend) and it benched well over the 600 RMS label. I don't know why ppl stay away from JBL, they make quality amps, and the only reason that you see so many ppl have problems with them is because soooooo many ppl own one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.