can I use only a power amp and just skip the head unit??

Participant count
  • Participant list

pepperdas

Hi,

I recently purchased a nice cadillac that's about 10 years old. I have both an android phone and tablet that I use to listen to music and for my navigation. I have the stock cadillac double din head unit in my car, which to me right now is utterly useless, as it DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A stereo, eighth-inch LINE IN! I was thinking of purchasing an app radio to sync with my devices, but then...

Why do I even need a head unit at all? can I just put a power amp in the slot where my head unit was, with a stereo line in to that?

Is this a crazy idea? I have a similar set up with my computer at home, and I love it.

there are but options are extremely limited and even if it does fit through the hole, there's no way to secure it. Its best if you do a custom fit fiberglass baffle for it for looks or leave everything stock and just have a mounting bracket on top of your stock head unit then install the amp in a secure place under the seat or somewhere hidden and secure. Your going to need a quality line driver that also has a signal processor($$$$) because using the tablet straight up will lose a lot of sound quality and have a lot of noise with dirty and weak signal. All in all, its going to take a lot of money to do it properly, you could save yourself the hassle and just get a decent head unit, it'll be cheaper, sound better and involve 0 custom work.

I agree, until the market creates a dash kit for 7inch tablets and 10 inch tablets the best way to go is still a head unit and blue tooth from your device. I hope somebody makes the dash kit for tablets, it would be awesome to have a tablet with a sim card and make it a dash mount.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.