can I use 'AC to DC' adapter to hook up car amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

moonX

I have a clarion car amp, I want to hook it up in the house to test it out. Can I just use the Ac to Dc 12Volts adapter for my keyboard to hook it up? Is the wattage fine?

Also, I'm a newbie, is there some good website that have instuctions for car stereo installation. I'm taking Electrical Eng in school, so hopefully with some help I can pull it off.

Thanks alot guys

it would work and you can ask what you want to know in here altho personally I think any sub or speaker in house below 8ohm suxxors //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

AC -> DC would work, easier is an DC travo (couz you got ground and **** on that to)

Thank you for your reply

I know it going to sux with the converter, but the amp isn't working, I just wanted to fiddle with it a bit. The amp belong to a buddy of mine, and if I get it to work, I get to keep it:)

hrm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Just do it simple mate //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Take the amp and put a normal cable on the + and on the - (power and ground)

Open up your hood and put the power on the battery's + pole and the ground on the battery's - pole, if it gives you lights u'r good to go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

ummm from your key board....(beastyle don't answer anymore questions) no that won't work...it doesn't have the correct aperage to make an amplifeir power up...but it still may be 12 volts...an automotive battery charger works well, thats what i have used in the past. that adapter would probably light up a tube of neon, but thats it.

yep, I take my time to go out side, pop the hood and connect the amp to the battery-----and there're no light, this really ****.

I'm in process of opening up the amp to see what's wrong with it, and if I can some how fix it. The fuse seem fine. I'm gonna look for burned resistors, capacitors, etc.

Wish me luck, I have no idea on what I'm doing

As taylor said, a battery eliminator won't come close. If you're gonna power up an amp on the bench I'd suggest a regulated 10 amp 12 volt power supply with current limiting. You won't be able to get it to full power with 10 amps but it'll be enough to turn it on and troubleshoot it.

I think Radio Shack still sells one. Or check the EE lab in school.

Hope you get lucky - the old Rockford amp I fixed for my son only had a blown internal fuse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

moonX

moonX
Ottawa, Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
maylar