Can I swap tweeters in my component system

ccapital83
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
I was wondering I have Polk mono components I just hate the tweeters I never will like silk tweets. I've always liked infinity tweeters. Can I save some money and just swap out the tweets for infinitys tweets they are same size and same impedance I know the crossovers are specifically made for polks but the freq resp are very close in numbers will I break anything trying these infinitys?

You won't break anything, but since the crossovers are not designed with those tweeters in mind it's a crap shoot to know how the response will turn out. You might as well give it a try.

Only difference is crossover the polka stop at 25000 and infinity go to 35000 they start at same point just end higher for infinity power is the same what you think any danger?

Only difference is crossover the polka stop at 25000 and infinity go to 35000 they start at same point just end higher for infinity power is the same what you think any danger?
The passive crossover sets more than crossover frequency. It also sets the tweeter's level to match it with the woofer. If the Infinity tweeter has a difference sensitivity, you will get a different kind of highs. Moreover, the crossover frequency depends on the impedance. If the new tweeter has different impedance, the

crossover frequency will change. By the way, I thought Infinity tweeters are also textile or silk done?

sensitivity on polks are 94db on infinity 93db and ohms are both 2ohms. and for material polks are silk dome infinitys are not the brand new line for 2013 is now silk im looking at last years model. not sure how much the 1db for sensitivity will matter. im assuming its not noticable to the human ear?

sensitivity on polks are 94db on infinity 93db and ohms are both 2ohms. and for material polks are silk dome infinitys are not the brand new line for 2013 is now silk im looking at last years model. not sure how much the 1db for sensitivity will matter. im assuming its not noticable to the human ear?
Prob not a whole lot. On some crossovers u can change from 0 to -3 or -6 db. So it will make a little bit of difference.

2 ohms will be the resistance after the passive crossover, the tweeters alone should be higher. For example my JBL components are 2 ohms after the passive crossover but the tweeter alone is 7 ohms.

You have to match the resistance of the tweeters by themselves.

good to know id have to call polk for that one they are terrible at responding to emails infinity on other hand answers almost right away maybe ill sell my polk momo components and just buy a new set of infinitys or focals i just need a sharper tweeter rather than the smooth natural roll off that silks have. im probably on my own for that desire.

good to know id have to call polk for that one they are terrible at responding to emails infinity on other hand answers almost right away maybe ill sell my polk momo components and just buy a new set of infinitys or focals i just need a sharper tweeter rather than the smooth natural roll off that silks have. im probably on my own for that desire.
How much for the Polks. I have a set of jbl gto608c and the tweeters are to high for me I even dropped it to -6db

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.