can I record from the preamp outputs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mcf57
10+ year member

I was interested in recording the output sound from a car stereo I have installed in my truck (long story). It has AUX ports on both the front and back, but these are "IN" & I didn't think there was any other output other than the speaker wires.

However, I'm wondering about the RCA premap outputs that are on the back of the receiver. It's a Pioneer unit and has preamp outputs for the front, rear and sub. Therefore, I'm wondering if I can run a simple RCA cord from the front or rear amp outputs to my recording device (mp3 players with an "IN" connection).

Is this possible? Or is it that once I connect something to one pair of these premap outs, I'll then lose the sound to the corresponding regular speakers? i.e. connect to "front" RCAs, I'll lose my front speakers. Or does it work differently?

You can use Y cables on the preamp outs. If your MP3 player does support that then yes, it will work. Just make sure not to hot plug. If you want to plug in or remove your MP3 player, only do it with the deck's power off, or you risk damaging it. Pioneers especially. Alternatively, if you want to hotplug, you can use a ground loop isolator: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-012 - I would also recommend an inline resistor just to be sure.

Ignore the underscores; they are spacers:

________Amp you used before

________/

Deck ----\

________ground loop isolator -> inline resistor on each positive wire, maybe 2kOhm -> 1/8" jack -> (disconnect here) 1/8" cable -> MP3 player

... hot swapping will be safe this way. Even better (safer) would be a powered signal isolator like an optoisolator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.