Can I glue this back?

SpiderX1016
10+ year member

I noticed one day that the surround wasn't attached to the cone and it's causing it to rattle.

I don't see any tears or damage.

Can I just glue it back? What kind of adhesive should I use?

P1030516.jpg

im NOT an expert, but im pretty sure the piece in the middle ( cone ) goes in between that , like it pulls apart a little..

but im about 1% sure, just a glance from me looking at my own sub just now

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

im NOT an expert, but im pretty sure the piece in the middle ( cone ) goes in between that , like it pulls apart a little..

but im about 1% sure, just a glance from me looking at my own sub just now

Regular CA glue (suerglue) should stick that surround back on the cone. Depending on the type of rubber the surround is made out of it may not want to stick unless you really put some pressure on it while it cures. Amazing Goop glue also generally works well for speaker repair but I'd try CA glue first. If that surround is the soft butyl type rubber (as opposed to the more foam type) you definitely don't want to get any CA glue activator on it or it'll never stick and you'd need to wipe it down with acetone and try again...

For a fix like that I would use goop. You want something with a little bit of flexibility to it because that is a big stress point and it can move a LOT. Using an adhesive that dries and becomes VERY stiff can cause even worse damage, such as the surround tearing.

Regular CA glue (suerglue) should stick that surround back on the cone. Depending on the type of rubber the surround is made out of it may not want to stick unless you really put some pressure on it while it cures. Amazing Goop glue also generally works well for speaker repair but I'd try CA glue first. If that surround is the soft butyl type rubber (as opposed to the more foam type) you definitely don't want to get any CA glue activator on it or it'll never stick and you'd need to wipe it down with acetone and try again...
I think I'll try Goop then.

Looking at there website, Do I go with the all purpose stuff?

I picked some Goop up from HD. I glued it yesterday, put it back in a few hours ago and played it lightly to check for air leaks. Nothing so far, I'll play it hard tomorrow morning and see if it all went well.

If not then I won't bother gluing it again. I'll just upgrade.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.