Can I Big 3 right here????

MakkMar10

Bangin on a Budget
SoCal
This was brought to my attention by only 1 person, who reiterated, he's no expert and this was just something he heard and tht I shud ask about it....he told me it wasn't gud to run my power cable across my spark plug cables. Wats y'alls take on it???? BTW the fuse holder is mounted now....

still don't understand the single fuse on big 3 wire. it's so point less. you need to fuse at least 18" from the power source, there is a power source on each end.

still don't understand the single fuse on big 3 wire. it's so point less. you need to fuse at least 18" from the power source, there is a power source on each end.
It's supposed to be fused within that distance from the battery which is a constant source of power not "a power source"..

ya dont do it. it could pickup current. plus you dont want the wire flapping around.
run it a crossed the fan shroud like he said ^^
Ok, I have a stupid question, I'm not mechanically inclined so....Wat do u mean by picking up current? And how our wat problems wud it cause? Iv had my b3 set up like this about 1.5 weeks and don't see any issues....yet, I guess

It's supposed to be fused within that distance from the battery which is a constant source of power not "a power source"..
So I'm gud on fusing rite? It's about 8-10in from my batt, I just need to reroute the cable?

This was brought to my attention by only 1 person, who reiterated, he's no expert and this was just something he heard and tht I shud ask about it....he told me it wasn't gud to run my power cable across my spark plug cables. Wats y'alls take on it???? BTW the fuse holder is mounted now....
Kinda falls back on the same reason we don't run power cables next to signal wires/RCA, it can induce EMI into the signal cables and raise the noise floor but as long as the two cables cross at a 90 degree angle (at some point) that induced EMI is canceled out.

The other reason i wouldn't cross spark plug wires with signal or power cables is simply because they leak, the insulation breaks down over time and the voltage escapes the wire arcing across to a ground, here is a beautiful example of what can happen with a weak or bad plug wire ..

.. It's just not good practice to run cables of any sort next to or across spark plug wires.. Follow the advice that was given and run your cables across the fan shroud ..

Ok, I have a stupid question, I'm not mechanically inclined so....Wat do u mean by picking up current? And how our wat problems wud it cause? Iv had my b3 set up like this about 1.5 weeks and don't see any issues....yet, I guess

So I'm gud on fusing rite? It's about 8-10in from my batt, I just need to reroute the cable?

spark plug wires are verry fickle - they are sensitive to corosion and trace voltage bleed out. good electrical spark systems in a viechle can deliver 50,000 volts at half of an amps power to each spark plug to cause the correct time spark / burn in each cylinder. if you have that heavy 1/0 or better size wire resting on top of the spark plug wires - there may be some feed off of each wire to the next that may or may not mess with the way your engine is firing the spark plugs at the correct times for everything to operate most idealy in your engine.

i had a spark plug wire ( yellow accell medium performence level ) that got a small cut in the jacket of the wire from being near a heat shield sharp edege on my factory exaust manafold on my 84 vette. i could see a blue spark at night jump from that small cut in the wire to anywehre metal near it in the engine - and it caused a miss fire at the same time. - me thinking i know everything took a piece of rubber fuel line hose and cut it down the middle and wrapped the cut spark plug wire with it completely covering the cut - and then wrapped electrical tape over everything - in the hope of this stoping the missfire of the engine on that cylinder.

nope.

50,000 volts of electrical energy traveling thru the spark plug path has alot of resistance in the wire - much like how ohms work on our speakers - and that electrical energy wants to jump out to ground anywhere it can.

me wraping the cut wire with rubber hose and tape did nothing.

when i touched that wire with my hand engine running

i shurely regretted it

because it shocked the pee out of me.

dont mess with spark plug wires

run your power wire safely somewhere else in your engine bay

so the alternator is a decoration?
yes that area on an engine looked dull empty so manufactures decided to put a round thing there and call it "alternator" they say it charged shit but we all know its complete bs and doesn't do anything:thumbupw:

yes that area on an engine looked dull empty so manufactures decided to put a round thing there and call it "alternator" they say it charged shit but we all know its complete bs and doesn't do anything:thumbupw:
Mine looked kinda dull and lifeless so I had it chromed to increase that Bling Factor //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Mine looked kinda dull and lifeless so I had it chromed to increase that Bling Factor //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I spray painted my $hit!! LOL

Ive never had any issues running without a inline fuse on my big3/big6 from batt to alt..My opinion...waste of money adding a fuse for such a short run.And as to think of logic..Why haven't car manufact. run an in line fuse from the alt to the battery from stock installation for YEARS?? Its understood and makes sense and reasoning from battery to fuse block/panels due to distribution,yet,also having a firewall present within those limits and wiring is exposed to be inspected on a daily if need be.Running through the firewall throughout the cabin and to the trunk space breaks the first firewall penetration in which needs to be fused before that penetration to limit the risk of burned/worn jacket failure

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.