can car audio go home?

Tribal_Sounds
10+ year member

OC, Cali
sup guys i was wondering how you could hook up a sub and amp to your home audio. i saw this 1 guy have an adire audio tempest hooked up. how would you do this? i have a poineer receiver and had a klh woofer self-powered 125 amp. so i was thinkin i would throw out tat paper sub and replace it w. a 12 kenwood i have already but i dont think the amp will handle it. but it didnt look tat hard cause it the paper sub tat came w/ it was just hooked up at 4 ohms. so if i get a box is there any way i can run an amp the reciever. lol tat sounds silly to say but is it possible.

Yeah look for a nice 50amp powersupply like for a sound room that is designed to be used in line with a battery and has a battery monitor and you can run whatever car audio ya want //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I am actually doing my home theatre out of 100% car audio. My buddy back in 98 had an all kicker home system with a wall of 15's hahaha!

Check your PCs power supply outs, the ones that go attach to hard drives and CD drives. There will be a 12 volt out, it'll do between 2 and 20 amps, depending on how nice of a power supply it is. This means you can hook up any amp that draws that many amps.

Decent 12 volt power supplies, ones that do about 50 amps, cost around $3 per amp. The PCs power supply unit (PSU) is slightly cheaper, and if you're reading this while at home, probably already paid for.

I did this for my review of a Mobile Authoriy 100 watt amp a while back. OMG, for such a small amp it was kicking serious ass.

lol wall of kicker lmao tats ridicoulous

well i have a pyramid 40 amp power suppy, but tats being used for the store i have. anyhow where would the remote and rca's hook up to?

well ill be ****ed. i never thought of a PC psu... hopefully you dont have an amp that needs 14.4v tho //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i got a PPI amp and a 10" GZ nuke im gonna hook up... all i gotsa do now is get an old powersupply.... do you think i could hook more than one PSU to a car battery.. then run the amp off the car battery? this way i can get more than one PSU and run them to a singular battery and get many amps of pOWER!

(ill prolly just use 2 PSU's and a battery to run the amp... now i just gotta rig them to a switch)

i got like 10 old AT powersupplies.

oh what a great idea!

Now I could be wrong, but someone correct me if I am please.

If you were using a computer power supply to power your amp, you wouldn't need a battery would you? The Power supply runs directly into the wall and spits out a 12V signal.

It sounds like people are going to be using batteries, but why?

Guys a pc powersupply has split voltage between 3,5 and 12V. A 450w supply is shared wattage accross those 3 voltages. I would not reccomend a pc powersupply. Also they are regulated at 12V, with the correct supply you can run 14.4 all day long and have aperage to back it up. A 20 amp supply will in general only support 240watts at 12V in a car audio amplifier.

ahh yea swims right if you use a pc supply you dont need a battery because your pc plugs into your normal house outlet. just some food for thought. In my store like I posted before we have a 40 amp power supply plug into the wall and the other side feeds a 12v demand. i have a volfenhag 1600 amp that is hooked up to it. the amp pushed many subs to thier limit. ex: 2(10) kicker c10s, 2(12) kenwoods, 1(12) audiobhan awc12t, 1(12) performance tek 600w. yea is gives some decent power but many times we hookep up a smaller amp that takes more power draw and when you turn it up the lights dim, the amp dims, the stereo dims, and ive had the power supply even shut off on me b4. im just not sure i want a thing like that in my room w/all the wires out, plus i was wondering if there was an alternative tat was bettter but i guess not ie. car battery in house lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/coolflash.gif.4f9740e1268764cfe452b9259e375e3b.gif

the reason for the battery;

A. i have one lying in my basement

B. i dont think the oldschool AT powersupplies are going to pull 30~40 amps to power my PPI 500w amp.

so if i chain 2 of them together up to the battery, this will store the voltage, and supply my amp with the correct power, and act as a buffer so that i dont toast the powersupplies or dim the lights when trying to power the **** thing on harder burps.

can you give me an alternate way to hook 2 computer PSU's to a single amp? i dont know, but plugging both + 12v wires into the amp dosnt sound good, and it seems like there could be voltage drops and things if there is no buffer between the battery and the amp...

but itd be a home threatre thing, just chillin on the side in the basement, so its not a big deal... the other good thing about AT powersupplies is they are incredibly cheap, and they have built-in power switches, instead of having to bridge the green wire on the motherboard harness of the ATX supply with a ground- just a push button switch.

just my thoughts. any comments?

ahh hello can you read i powered 1600 w ampifer to a 40 amp power supply. and if u didnt understand i said the power supply cut off when i hooked up a smaller amp to push subs that it couldnt handle. this meaning that there wasnt enough juice in the amp meaning it suxin more outt tha power supply. so ill you have to do is match up your amp and sub load and itll be fine. look i pushed to 12 750w subs to their limits w/the converter hooked up. its stared to fart. what more can you want the **** was ****en bumpin hard as hell you couldnt hear any highs or mids. mind you not only the amp was hooked up to the supply but also the stereo, 2 6x9, 2 tweet, and another stereo on display. this is because its for the stereo/speaker display i have. what more can you want.

B. i dont think the oldschool AT powersupplies are going to pull 30~40 amps to power my PPI 500w amp.?

what old school. i went out and bought a brand new pyramid supply the biggest one they have is 50 amp. it comes volt meter and another to measure the ampheres. if they wont pull 30/40 go get a new 1

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.