can anyone describe what clipping sounds like?

jsluss17
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i can't tell if i'm clipping or not i don't think so but i heard someone say it hurts your ears and my sub hurts my ears but i can't tell if it's just from loudness or clipping. it's a sundown sa-12 in a 1.73 cubic ported box tuned to 33 hz and powered by a kicker dx1000.1 with the gain at about halfway if that helps at all. i just got the amp about a week ago so i can't tell if i'm overpowering it/clipping at all

Do you have headphones that plug into your computer? If so, go find a 500Hz sine track and put it on repeat. With headphones on, start with the volume on low and slowly turn it up. You'll hit a point where the tone is not only getting louder but it starts to sound a bit different...like you're hearing two tones at the same time. That's distortion/clipping rearing its ugly head.

ok if you want a more detailed explanation than ''hurts your ears'' it feels more like pressure in your ears is gathering and makes them ache/hurt. that is clipping.

no system ive heard yet that was not clipping has made that pressure feeling in my ears and ive hears 58+ on music..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.