Can anyone answer a hodge podge home audio question please?

Participant count
  • Participant list

scootinZ
10+ year member

Chicago
So this is not car related but I have been to the site before for car stuff and you guys were a big help!

I have a 3000 foot outbuilding with a 15' tall ceiling and I am sick of not having decent tunes out there. I have the following laying around and figured maybe I can toss something together but I have a few questions about what I have.

Adcom GFA 555 amp

Acurus RL11 Pre Amp

JVC RX801V

Sansui R-70 Reciever

Teac EQA-20

CD player (cant remember what it is right now)

So what started this was that I was given a brand new pair of American Acoustics AAC110 speakers from a guy who used to operate juke boxes etc..

Did him a favor and he have them to me. They were unopened.

The previous owner of this building had it wired for sound in all 4 corners so there is a shelf and wire already there. This means I would probably get another pair of speakers.

Specs on these speakers I got are:

4 ohm

55-22khz

91.5 dB

75W rms

150W peak

Xover Frequency 600 hz midrange

4khz high

I have been running them off the Sansui just to try them out and they are decent, But the Sansui says to use 8 ohm or better speakers. But even cranking them up a bit the Sansui seems to do ok (rated at 230 watts) but I don't want to fry it either. The JVC says the same thing (8-16 ohms only) and it's rated at 370 watts.

I also have a pair on Infinity Stratus Golds that I have had sitting doing nothing BUT I don't know if I really want to use those out in that building.

So I think I would like to use the Adcom amp (1000 watts) with the Acurus pre amp and maybe I can just use the JVC for the tuner even though I would rather use the Sansui because it's such a good tuner and gets great reception (not to mention the old school look and tuning) but I don't think I can because there are no pre out connections? (not sure how that works)

I have no paperwork most of this stuff and I'm sure I can maybe dig online. I have not hooked up a stereo in years and I remember when I had this stuff all set up it seemed like a mess of wires.

Here are my questions:

Looking at the specs for the speakers are they at least half way decent for this application???

Can this stuff run four of these 4 ohm speakers if I get another pair of these exact speakers. Will the adcom push 4 of these these ok?

Are 4 ohm speakers better for a large room like this? Are they better in general?

Can anyone refresh me in basic terms on what hooks to what so I am just using the tuner only in the Sansui or JVC and the amp to push the power?

Sorry this was so long....

Thanks,

SZ

If they are single voice coil(didn't bother to check) the go to that page and click the drop down list and click 4 ohm single voice coil and it will give you your options.. Remember the options are all for 1 channel so if you want one sub per channel do 1 sub from the drop down list and then 4 ohm single voice coil, 2 per channel or bridged do 2 subs from the drop down list.. And so on

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.