Can a bad ground cause SQ and Volume issues?

KAC1023
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm having a issue here, VERY frustrating. I'd redoing my stereo and chasing something here.

Used Alpine 9887

New US Amps MD43 4 channel amp

New RE XXX Components

4 gauge power wire

new RCA's

back half of truck dynamatted

Ohio Generator 250amp Alt (not installed)

4 gauge power

2/0 ground

amp is grounded to the backseat bolt of my Xtended cab F350.

When I turn the volume up it sounds good then sounds like crap when you think it should start rocking, distorts and gets "poopy". I hooked my iPhone up VIA RCA's to see if the used head unit was acting up. messed with crossovers, settings everything, once it gets good it'll start getting crappier. I'm just upset cause I'm selling my old Memphis stuff (check my posts) to go all RE XXX and US Amps setup and I'm not happy. Could a bad amp ground cause this issue? I got some 1/0 black coming this week, gonna run a nice solid ground to the frame, grind that frame silver.

Could be very possible.

When you turn it up the amps are pulling more current. If you have a crappy ground then the amp won't be able to pull the current it needs, most likely sending the amp into clipping and generally just making things sound like ass.

I had a similar problem back when I was a n00b. I had a really shitty ground for my hifonics bx1500d. At low volumes it would be fine, but when I turned it up it would go into protect. Turns out it was a poor ground. Moved it to a nice, clean, thick piece of metal and never had a problem.

yea, I am being a n00b here. I THINK that is it, but the weather has been to crappy to get under there and mess with it. Just wanted to get a second opinion, thanks btw, like your pic, LOVE Caddyshack, "how would you like to mow my lawn?" I just wanna hear all the hype about these XXX components, can't wait to hear them smash my ear drums.....

ok, ran a nice new 1/0 from the distro block through the floor to the frame. I cleaned the frame up real nice, undercoating was a pain, used a 5 grade bolt, though the terminal, through a star washer, through frame to a nut, tightened the hell out of it..... and it still distorts, wtf!! I mean the speakers are in the back extended cab doors and the tweeters are up high. I want volume and this isn't quite doing it for me...

ok, more follow up, got my hands on a Osilly and I am impressed with my 9887, full volume, no clipping, turn the amp up til it clipped, just before and the speakers sound good, but I just though they'd be louder. They are behind me on my extra cab doors, maybe once I put the other set up front it will all sound nice.

I used a older Pandisc CD, I used that Steve Meade way. played a 1Khz tone and set it up that way, I should of used a -10db? and set it for a smooth curve? crap, no biggie, easy to get too..

Could be very possible.

When you turn it up the amps are pulling more current. If you have a crappy ground then the amp won't be able to pull the current it needs, most likely sending the amp into clipping and generally just making things sound like ass.

I had a similar problem back when I was a n00b. I had a really shitty ground for my hifonics bx1500d. At low volumes it would be fine, but when I turned it up it would go into protect. Turns out it was a poor ground. Moved it to a nice, clean, thick piece of metal and never had a problem.
What about if the amp has good ground and voltage but not getting out put from the radio?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...