Calling BS on "breaking in" subwoofers, prove me wrong.

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
There's a lot of talk here about peoples subs getting louder or noticeably changing TSPs after some unspecified "break in" period. There have been some scientific studies proving that after the first few seconds suspension is stretched out pretty much as well as it will be and any slight varience is generally less than normal variations right off the assembly line.

SO who here has had subs that have metered differently (with no other variables changed) over time playing them? (I sure haven't and I owned a TL and metered often last year).

I've also given plenty of subs full throttle right out of the box (or right after the glue dries with ones I build) and the ONLY things that have failed are poorly made junk brands; so I'll further state that this myth is a cop-out by manufacturers who use low quality materials and glues and third world child labor to excuse products that fail.

Someone post evidence to convince me otherwise.

Well. I can't say it meters differnt.I can tell you normal speakers have a break in period where you will hear a differnce in sound quality. Not really SPL.
Can you provide links to the RTA measurements or TSP data before and after that show this phenomenon?

When we test our products on the bench they are tested wide open out of the box -- the CMS will change over some extended play time, though, resulting in a lower FS. This typically doesn't take too long at maximum throw. Perhaps an hour or two of actual play time (week or so in a customer install typically I'd say).

Stiffer spiders will have a massive difference in CMS from no play time to several minutes at full stroke. Of course playing them hard at first shouldn't damage them.

I pretty much cut loose on my new subs out of the box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif The high notes hurt just as much on the first day as they do now, It seems like there is much better low end extension, but I would say that only took about 3 hours of playing C & S This 2 weeks or whatever for break in is BS and playing them quiet for a while is BS too. I always beat on them. I will say that they dont always get low at first but you can tell as the suspension loosens up in the first day or so where it gets to where it should be.

If you had posted this a week ago I would have done a now and later on the TL for you.

well , my 8's werent broken in , now that they are broken in i'm way louder and my voltage drop has increased. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Stiffer spiders will have a massive difference in CMS from no play time to several minutes at full stroke. Of course playing them hard at first shouldn't damage them.
Thanks, Jacob, a few minutes and lower FS I could believe. Would really like to see if we can actually tell the difference on RTA or pulling TSPs. It is my understanding that the motor force is such a dominant factor in most subs that many other variables don't effect actual performance as much as some conventional wisdom would suggest.

I plan to build up some new subs this weekend and I will take some TSPs before running them. Someone remind me to take measurements after a few weeks (if they survive that long)

Also seems that Jacob isn't a guy that will blame mechanical failure on some mythical "break in" to try to weasel out of warranty claims.

well , my 8's werent broken in , now that they are broken in i'm way louder and my voltage drop has increased. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

What precisely is "way louder" in decibels? Actual measurements please.

Definition of Objective and Subjective

Objective is a statement that is completely unbiased. It is not touched by the speaker’s previous experiences or tastes. It is verifiable by looking up facts or performing mathematical calculations.

Subjective is a statement that has been colored by the character of the speaker or writer. It often has a basis in reality, but reflects the perspective through with the speaker views reality. It cannot be verified using concrete facts and figures.

Let's stick to OBJECTIVE evidence please.

will be installing some brand new 15's in my truck in the next week or so, I have access to a termlab also.

I'm interested to see if there's a big difference in #'s after the suspension has had a chance to loosen up...after a week or so

I remember reading some T/S specs and it noted that *specs were taken after a week break in period.

cannot remember if it was dc subs or tc epic 8? maybe neither of them, but i saw that somewhere

will be installing some brand new 15's in my truck in the next week or so, I have access to a termlab also.
I'm interested to see if there's a big difference in #'s after the suspension has had a chance to loosen up...after a week or so
You just made me subscribe to this thread.

I will say that after a month or so, the tweeters on my Kenwood co-axs seemed to get a lot smoother....but I'm not really sure if that was the speaker changing or me just getting used to the sound.

Will definately remember this thread and write a note to remind myself to update
are you ever around the orange county area? 15s seems pretty quiet, but id love to hear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.