Calculating Cu.ft. In Fiberglass

Participant count
  • Participant list

chevy6998
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Here Is A ?. How Would You Calculate The Area Of A Sealed Fiberlass Enclosure (for Subs) With An Ambiguous Shape, Its Not Like You Can Break It Down Into Sections And Calculate It, Its All Convex And Concave Curves!!!! I See All These Crazy Ameoba Shaped Enclosures And I Wonder How They Calculated The Area To Match The Subs Requirements

I always say sand or water... more accurate the packing peanuts.
GOOD POINT, BUT THATS ONLY GOOD IF THE MAGICAL SHAPE YOU CHOOSE JUST BY LUCK HAPPEN TO MEASURE OUT OK, MY REAL FOCUS IS IN THE PREDESIGN, ITS NOT GOOD IF YOU BUILD IT FILL IT FULL OF WATER AND THEN FIND OUT ITS A RIDCULOUSLY USELESS DESIGN, ALSO WATER DOESNT WORK IF ITS ALSO PARTIALLY MDF!!!

First you asked he answered dont sound so mean in you reply.

second you should have a rough design build it a tad big then you can add small junks of wood to make it the right size. if it happens to be too small add a little polyfill.

third good luck and its not an exact science sort of guess and checkl

Danny

First you asked he answered dont sound so mean in you reply.second you should have a rough design build it a tad big then you can add small junks of wood to make it the right size. if it happens to be too small add a little polyfill.

third good luck and its not an exact science sort of guess and checkl

Danny
sorry not being mean, im just short and to the point, didn't realize how it sounded till i read it the second time, i apologize

i just thought there may be more o f a science to it
there can be. Whoa there can be.

But... You (and alot of others on this forum) should realize that, unles you are very seriously competing then:

-If your tuning is 1.03hz off, it's not the end of the world.

-If your vB is off 0.0000786^cu ft, it's not the end of the world.

-If your SSF isn't dialed in exactly right, your woofer will not launch it's cone.

-Nick

there can be. Whoa there can be.
But... You (and alot of others on this forum) should realize that, unles you are very seriously competing then:

-If your tuning is 1.03hz off, it's not the end of the world.

-If your vB is off 0.0000786^cu ft, it's not the end of the world.

-If your SSF isn't dialed in exactly right, your woofer will not launch it's cone.

-Nick
Theres and exact science to just about any thing, but most of the answers I got were guestimation solutions. if you know any sites or books on the subject let me know

Theres and exact science to just about any thing, but most of the answers I got were guestimation solutions. if you know any sites or books on the subject let me know
Well yeah there is an exact science to this too, just simply build it and plan on it being large, figure how much air space there is when you are done, now look at your numbers, you needed 1ft^3 you are at 1.1, 1.5, or 1.9549349, it doesnt matter which, now just add the correct amount of filling and your done, it doesnt take long at all and it isnt too hard. Sorry if i come off rude im not trying to be at all im just laying it out for you.

there is another way---if you have the room. you simply build the enclosure out of mdf to the right specs and then use fiberglass purely as cosmetics to fit the contour of the space you want it to go into.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.