Buying a birthday gift for my son, want to get it right...

Participant count
  • Participants list

JohnVander

CarAudio.com Newbie
Helping my son put together a system in his truck, (2000 Silverado extra cab) he has a Pioneer Deh 80 head unit and I wanted to get him an amp and a set of speakers for the doors. I would say that sound quality would be the main priority (though he will likely be streaming more than he plays cd's) he likes everything from rap to classical, my budget is around $400 (don't mind going over if there is good value at that price point).

Your input will be greatly appreciated. 

Hey mate, thanks for sharing your issue here.  Would be good to find out his stock speaker size before you go to buy the gear.

I would recommend you purchase a pair of component speakers for the front stage (depending on the speaker size matching the stock speakers)

Secondly, would be a good idea to purchase a 4 channel amplifier to run them or in future, he could bridge the rear channels to drive a single 4 ohm subwoofer.

Other additional gear which you may need to purchase if you intend to buy an amplifier is a wiring kit, a 4 gauge is sufficient as a starting point.  Lastly, you may also throw in some money for sound deadening the doors as it makes a huge difference despite which speakers you are running.

Hope this is helpful to you mate!

DEH 80?  I'm guessing the 80PRS? I'm actually in the middle of installing mine...

036.jpg

Ended up getting him a Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp and a set of Morel Maximo 5 1/4" component speakers from Crutchfield on sale. I think this set up should be a great start for him.

Nice choice mate, as long as the speakers fit, it would sound sweet.  You're a great dad for doing that for him! :veryhapp:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.