Burnt tweeters?

marlonucal

I got a pair of rockford fosgate tweeters cheap and when I got them I noticed there were no crossover boxes inlcuded. My cheap old tweeters also didnt have crossovers so I thought it was ok.

After installing I drove for about 45 mins and noticed the burnt smell, and the tweeters got very hot. Did I fry them because I didn't use a crossover?

They're wired straight from the head unit so I dont think I blew them with too much power...

its more than likely not the power problem unless youre sitting there cranking your radio and pretty much sending a clipped nasty signal to them. other than that id guess you hooked them up right next to the front door speaker wires right??? so this little tweeter is getting all these freq. it isnt made to handle...?

:DLOL FAIL.

i once hit a 145.6 on TL @ 20hz.

i had 12 1/2" tweets walled.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

:DLOL FAIL.i once hit a 145.6 on TL @ 20hz.

i had 12 1/2" tweets walled.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
ah **** yea he did. in the saturn wagon. shiit was scary it was hard to fucckin breathe

because your cheap tweeters probably had caps on them (capacitors)

that looks something like this

rx8tweeter5.jpg

you should not hope ever egain that something is gonna work unless you have alot of experience in certain field.

kinda like touching wires together. some people manage to get sparks the first try others manage to find the right wires without blowing the fuses.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.