Burning smell STILL!!!

Elitemafia
10+ year member

I've got Shivas
Chicago
I have 2 shivas being run in parallel by a JBL 600.1... I have th gain at about 60 percent and I know for a FACT they are wired parallel. Why am I still getting a burning smell? This is the third set of subs and a new amplifier. Could it be b/c I am using an output power converter from a stock HU and my car comes with a stupid Bose amp stock? Please help me I am really not understanding how two 8 ohm subs wired parallel to a 2 ohm stable amp are getting VC frying...

It's only at 60 percent though.
thats great... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

But check it properly. If you are using a h.o. loc, then you are prolly clipping at the input side. Meaning that you are clipping on the output stage.

-or-

Cook your woofers.

One of my amps gain in set at zero (all the way down) the other is near zero. No wonder you said this is your 3rd set of subs and a new amp. Honestly you should take your **** to an installer and let him do it for you. Then read all you can before youtry and do any more.

Lets see here, you have 2 8 ohm subs parallel wired to 4 ohms and an amp that is designed to give max output at 2 ohms, so you are only giving each sub 150watts (give or take) and you want it loud and are complaining that it is not loud enough. Then you should have bought either the right subs for the amp or the right amp for the subs and have the subs in the right box and use a much better LOC to integrate it into the system. If you have burned 3 pairs of subs then you have a hard time reading what people are writing. You are not matching the system together properly and are not using it properly. Until you realize this, you are going to continue to blow up speakers.

Um, maybe if I didn't get three different stories each time I posted a topic then I could listen. You say I am only giving them 150 watts each. If I wire them in parallel to a mono channel amp wouldn't two 8 ohm subs wired in to the channel at 4 ohms make a final load of 2 ohms? And therefore have 300 watts running to each?

I have spoken to 3-4 shiva owners who had a JBL 600.1 and they all said wire them parallel into the amp for a final load of 2 ohms.. Honestly I get like 2 or 3 completely different things to do every time I ask for advice. I really don't know who to listen to anymore. The shops around obviously **** too, maybe it is just not meant for me to have subs.

Um, maybe if I didn't get three different stories each time I posted a topic then I could listen. You say I am only giving them 150 watts each. If I wire them in parallel to a mono channel amp wouldn't two 8 ohm subs wired in to the channel at 4 ohms make a final load of 2 ohms? And therefore have 300 watts running to each?
I have spoken to 3-4 shiva owners who had a JBL 600.1 and they all said wire them parallel into the amp for a final load of 2 ohms.. Honestly I get like 2 or 3 completely different things to do every time I ask for advice. I really don't know who to listen to anymore. The shops around obviously **** too, maybe it is just not meant for me to have subs.
Forgot to say that they are dual 8 ohm speakers huh. Now, if you can't believe us, then just continue to cook your speakers, it is your money.

I am sorry I didn't realize you could get single 8 ohm shivas... Now back to the topic. Why do they sound so low with 300 watts going to each?

I am just trying to figure out if it is maybe b/c of the stock amplifier that comes with my car. I am also using the RCA cables from my N64 cause I was too lazy to go to Best Buy and buy some RCA cables, they are connected to the power convertor that is supposed to power down the signal from the stock amp to the sub amp. It shouldn't be set just enough to make the subs move and still be burning right?

As for the listening to you guys, I really try to man, but sometimes I get a few opposites pieces of advice and it leaves me with nothing. You know what I mean?

This all comes back to posting the proper info. So the subs you have are dual 8 ohm drivers? Or are they single 8 ohm or dual 4ohm that the spec sheet calls 8ohm? I really need to know the exact sub you have. What kind of box are they mounted in? Are the subs in phase? What kind of LOC was used and where is it connected to in what vehicle? The more accurate info you post, the less we have to ask Madame Clara and her free pyschic readings for info. How long and at what volume level are you playing the subs at before you smell them?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.