Burning/Melting smell from alternator/amp/speakers/sub/receiver?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alimoose
10+ year member

Today I just noticed that if I set my receiver on pause for CD/USB whichever, there is a burning/melting smell after a while. It would go away after I un-pause it. Now, the same thing happens when I turn up my volume above 20 (0-50, with loud enabled, JVC unit). I get this burning/melting smell. It would go away if I lower the volume below 20.

I have no idea what is causing this.

I had my factory stereo system before the JVC unit and above 2/3 volume, the smell would come in also. So, I'm pretty sure its not the unit. There is no smell coming from the subs/amp when I opened the trunk. So, I don't believe its the amp/subs. The smell was there when I had my factory speakers in too. So I also believe its not the speakers. I could be wrong of any of these.

Dimming of the lights do occur. I did the big 3 cables. Alternator (Factory) and Battery (Die Hard Gold) hasn't been changed. No capacitor. I still unsure to even get this. The store I go to tells me to get a cap because I'm running above 1k watts, but then others are telling me its useless.

I got my alternator checked and they said it was working in perfect condition, but obviously its not juicing my system up. As of right now, I am not changing the alternator for whatever reason.

Anyways, any ideas of what could be causing the smell?

The current system I'm running:

1999 Toyota Camry LE

JVC KW-XR610

Rockford Fosgate Prime R1693 6" x 9" Rear

Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 6-3/4" Front

Hifonics Brutus 1600 Watt Mono D-Class Trunk

2x 12" Alpine Type R 500 Watt Trunk

Big 3 cables @ 2-gauge

Probably the voice coils on your speakers burning, when you clip them or put too much power to them it burns the laquer that separates the wire on the coils. smells like poop. turn your shiz down, you either have your gains up too high or your burning the door speakers and should replace them. also the loud function is a waste. getting a second battery is also not a bad idea.

I can understand the voice coil situation...but the thing is, I had it on pause and there was the smell of burning/melting also?

Also, this happened with my factory speakers also. I had factory speakers and factory head unit. @ 2/3 volume, the smell comes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.