Bumpin in the cold

I would be much more concerned about your transistors in your amplifiers, if you take a cold transistor of 20 F and warm it up to 100+ F in a short amount of time would not be good for it. Over time it may fail. I would recommend starting out the volume low and slowly turn the volume up over time to let things slowly come up in temperature.

I would be much more concerned about your transistors in your amplifiers, if you take a cold transistor of 20 F and warm it up to 100+ F in a short amount of time would not be good for it. Over time it may fail. I would recommend starting out the volume low and slowly turn the volume up over time to let things slowly come up in temperature.
I agree, and same with the subwoofer freeze, not something to 'lol' at. :p

dont know about you, but when i get in my car on a cold morning, the last thing on my mind is bass....sometimes it is just to cold to even reach for the volume knob...

Take a look at the properties of a subwoofer, every material has slightly different properties at one temperature from the other.

A rubber surround will be more supple and pliable in the heat than at frigid temperatures. Foam, due to the large amount of air bubbles, won't change much. A woven material like spiders are made of is also quite impervious to drastic mechanical changes due to temperature.

One thing to consider however is the glue that holds the driver together. The glue keeping the cone on the voice coil, the glue on the dustcap, the surround, etc. Glue holding strength can vary greatly with temperature, and you run the risk of tearing "brittle" glue joints in some cases.

And other than your amp, which BassAce mentioned, just take it easy if it's seriously cold. I'm talking 20 or less. If you let it warm up a few minutes then I see no problems.

another trick you can try is take those things they make for hunters for heating there hands and shove it in the pole vent and that will warm up the motor so it doesn't freeze up

Hmmm, I play all year around. But I live in FL, I'm in 2 pairs of underwear, sweatpants a hoodie and a jacket at 60 degrees while Northerns think it's beach weather lol.

Spider shrinkage...
Bad news...
i thought it would expand? the freezing of the spider adds mass to it making it expand, and that is what impedes the cone from moving back and forth, and if your cone isn't moving, you voice coils will overheat almost instantly and start to burn up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.