Built my box,, too big.

JimTJr
10+ year member

Ok, I have two 10" Orion XTR's and they are sounding kind of,, "Loose"?? If that is a good term? Anyway I figured the sq inches of my box, wow, don't know how I miss figured to begin with. But it is pretty over size for these. I believe they only need about .75 per speaker. I have a tad over 3 cubic ft for both. (So, nearly twice the size for each one.

Can POLY fill take up that much extra? And how do you figure how much to put each side?

Thanks,, I don't want to ruin these speakers...

I think my math is right, box is 44" long inside diameter. 1.25" at the top, and 6" at the bottom, 16.5" tall. So I took 7.25x16.5=119.625 Took that times 44 to get 5265. That divided by 1728, (Cubic foot, right?) got me 3.05. (You can take out 119.625x.75=89.71) if you want. for the thickness of my center board... So my total inside is 5175,29/1728=2.9949

Not much difference,, LOL

if you add poly it will make the box seem larger to the subs, brace the **** out of it with 2x4s... you put enough in and it wont matter

if i was you & haven't carpet it yet i woult just take the back board out cut it do the specs and put it back,if its carpeted i would put a box inside to displace the extra space and fill it with polyurethane foam untill i made a new one

Ok, thanks, for the QUICK sincere responses, the rest, well, if you have nothing constructive to say, I guess your just Post *****s, who want to drive up your counts? No biggie, I can ignore those kinds of posts easily.

Just a question, how does putting something like Poly fill in, make the speaker think it's in a LARGER enclosure? Just curious.

I suppose putting in glueing in pieces would be a good option for now. (Course, building another box, since I can learn from my mistakes on this one, would be an idea in the future too)

if i was you & haven't carpet it yet i woult just take the back board out cut it do the specs and put it back,if its carpeted i would put a box inside to displace the extra space and fill it with polyurethane foam untill i made a new one
Not Carpeted yet, but can't go shallower, because my speakers magnet is only about 1/2" from the back wall.

Sooo, if I was to "Modify it" Cutting the ends off, and putting new ends on would be the next option.

polyfill will delay the air moove freely inside the box its a kind of air suspension to the woofer cone, I beleive keep it for a future setup and make another....if you use polyurethane foam or any kind of clue live it dry first before put woofers back

Thanks again, I do not think I have any leaks really. It is just nearly 2x to big for each speaker. I am going to take some of the MDF, cut pieces and put them inside for now.

Ok, thanks, for the QUICK sincere responses, the rest, well, if you have nothing constructive to say, I guess your just Post *****s, who want to drive up your counts? No biggie, I can ignore those kinds of posts easily.
You just did the exact opposite of ignoring them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks again, I do not think I have any leaks really. It is just nearly 2x to big for each speaker. I am going to take some of the MDF, cut pieces and put them inside for now.
Build another box. Really.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JimTJr

10+ year member
JimTJr
St. Louis, mo. Area
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from