Brand New to this Audio Thing

Numonet86
10+ year member

How you doing guys? I was hoping to get a little information on where to start with this car audio thing, and also to get a little criticism on what I have planned...I repeat I'm brand new so I don't know a lot of the info or slang on car audio, so please be patient...

Currently I have 2 subwoofers in the back of my car, and 2 in the trunk. Full range speakers in the back as well, next to each passenger and unfortunately none in the front. The sound is actually not bad for me, and I listen to a lot of hip hop so the subs work. Of course, I end up deafening anyone in the back if I need to listen to my stuff at full volume in the front.

I'm thinking about keeping the subs, just replacing them with better brands, getting a new amp and building a proper box for the ones in the trunk (most of all this came with the car). I'd also like to throw some mid range speakers and tweeters in the front doors, and perhaps replace the full range speakers with a tweeter and mid range set up as well, moving the full ranges closer to the back and higher just to add a little umph. My car is very small by the way, mid 70's corolla. I was wondering what you think of this set up so far? And should I add anything to the dash at all? I am considering this...I am not expecting all speakers to be big or powerful, but I want a more balanced and full sound for everyone, not just a big bang. Don't know if I'm overdoing it though...

I actually started getting interested in this because I had a very good Logitech MP3 speaker set break on me and was entertaining the though of just throwing them in my car somewhere instead of the trash...simply because they may be the best house speakers I've ever had. Thinking about putting them on the sides of the handbrake between the two front passengers (they create a 3d effect together, so I figure separate, it might help balance how wide the front speakers will be, and will just be a cool little bonus for the front seats). If I go this far I might as well just get actual car audio speakers for that, but I really don't know what kind of little speakers these are (they are very small, no bigger than 2 inches across, the small 3d effect ones may be 1 inch but they pack such a punch and fill a room completely. It is actually shocking...Logitech is a very good company). My question is if there is a way to protect these little speakers (they probably won't be able to handle how high I would crank the audio), and add a resistor or something to keep them at the limit they were designed to be at. Again I'm brand new to audio in general so please excuse my ignorance. I don't want them getting blown though, and would like to add a limit to how loud they can get.

Any feedback will be appreciated...Thank you.

I've heard that Logitech system , wasn't **** compared to my Boston Acoustics Digital Media Theater. I took the logitech back to the store and just fixed the 10 year old sub in my BA setup. So sweet and its only a 4.1 setup.

Advice on the original post though , please don't put your computer speakers in your car. if you do that you will get no respect around this joint. LOL. Just do some research on the web for good budget friendly equipment. Crescendo for amps and speakers , FI , Sundown , And SSA for the subs , and you can never go wrong with a alpine or eXcelon deck.

I dont even know where to start...
your whole idea is terrible.
Appreciate the harsh but honest feedback...could you or someone at least throw a couple of things that could get me on the right track? Not asking much about the technical aspects of it yet, just the whole setup in general...

I've heard that Logitech system ' date=' wasn't **** compared to my Boston Acoustics Digital Media Theater. I took the logitech back to the store and just fixed the 10 year old sub in my BA setup. So sweet and its only a 4.1 setup.
Advice on the original post though , please don't put your computer speakers in your car. if you do that you will get no respect around this joint. LOL. Just do some research on the web for good budget friendly equipment. Crescendo for amps and speakers , FI , Sundown , And SSA for the subs , and you can never go wrong with a alpine or eXcelon deck.[/quote']

Got ya...when you state it like that it does sound lame. But budget isn't really the issue, I was just considering that for the sake of recycling. Appreciate any high end suggestions as well...

Got ya...when you state it like that it does sound lame. But budget isn't really the issue, I was just considering that for the sake of recycling. Appreciate any high end suggestions as well...
the thing is all of that minus the crescendo speakers is pretty high end stuff. the brands i mentioned for subs are hard to beat , the have entry level models and some that cost 600+ each. LOL. and the decks i mentioned are the same way , they sell lower priced models and higher priced models with way more features but all in all are top of the food chain when it comes to decks. You want high end speakers look toward Morel components. Awesome Stuff

Ah ok...sorry I didn't notice the list. Thank you. Do you have any tips about arranging the speakers for sound quality, and which ones? Or, if you don't feel like explaining, do you know any good resources where I can get some tips for a set up?

Ah ok...sorry I didn't notice the list. Thank you. Do you have any tips about arranging the speakers for sound quality, and which ones? Or, if you don't feel like explaining, do you know any good resources where I can get some tips for a set up?
i would stick to getting a good deck , nice 4 channel amp to power the 4 speakers in the factory locations (replace them with aftermarket speakers , of course. then get a nice pair of 10's 12's or 15's if you have the space , get a pro to build the enclosure or ask around here if you feel you wanna try building it yourself. Get a nice mono amp for those subs. And above all don't skimp on the wiring. I see so many people who have respectable equipment just sounding like *** because the hooked it up with cheap *** wiring.

i would stick to getting a good deck ' date=' nice 4 channel amp to power the 4 speakers in the factory locations (replace them with aftermarket speakers , of course. then get a nice pair of 10's 12's or 15's if you have the space , get a pro to build the enclosure or ask around here if you feel you wanna try building it yourself. Get a nice mono amp for those subs. And above all don't skimp on the wiring. I see so many people who have respectable equipment just sounding like *** because the hooked it up with cheap *** wiring.[/quote']
Thanks for the advice...the only problem is that nothing in my car is factory (well besides that its 34 years old), the man who owned it before started doing his own thing (the sub rack in the back and the two by the rear passenger), so I'm starting off of someone else's creation unfortunately. Well, actually I don't mind because I actually enjoy the set up so far, it just obviously needs some better equipment, definitely a new amp and some more speakers up front. But I will play around with options and study diligently so I can begin to somewhat approach the knowledge level of you guys...

Your car audio sounds very ghetto. But you got to start somewhere.
That's funny, considering I'm reminded of it everytime in GTA 4 I drive a car with the subs behind the seats like mine. But it actually sounds decent for what it is, everything being very used. Even when I crank it up, it doesn't sound really funky like some of the other **** you hear in cars. But I can tell so far that even with no further set up, that I'm probably only getting 50% at most of what I could be hearing. I think my amp is the biggest problem right now, it is very old and has taken plenty of abuse.

Ghetto is the parked car I spotted a year or two ago on 20s with an actual house radio duct taped under the back of it. I'll never forget this...

do you have any pics of this setup, im rather curious of just how the sub stage is set up, and if it would be better to pull all of it and just go with a nice pair of 10s or 12s in the trunk.
I don't sorry, and I won't for a little bit. I've been getting into too much legal trouble with the car so it isn't with me until I get that handled...

I apologize for the redundancy too guys, I just saw all the other resources this website had to offer in terms of knowledge. I will be posting pics and stuff though once I start getting into it...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.