Box for two E15K's

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gauntlet
5,000+ posts

bulletproof
I'm getting 2 Elemental Design 15 K-series subs for christmas and am now looking into a box for them. This is my first box building experiment, so I have a few questions, bear with me.

These are the dimension I have to work with. The box can be smaller than the #'s listed, but no bigger:

Width: 37 inches

Height 14.5 inches

Depth: 30 inches

I obviously cant build a standard box, as my 15's will be unable to fit with a height of only 14.5 inches. My plan is to build a box where the subs mount on the top of the box, and the magnet faces straight down. This is where I need your guys help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

First off, I want to make the box ported using a slot port or aeroports. On the Elemental website, they say recommended cubic feet for a 15 in ported applications is 2-4. So would a box for 2 15's need to be somewhere around 6 cubic feet? (6.5 cuft, since the subs take up .25 displacement each). If this is correct, I need dimensions that will fit into my application and come out to 6.5 cuft. This is what I came up with, someone tell me if its correct/wrong (accounts for width of 3/4" MDF as well):

Width: 37 inches

Height: 11.5 inches

Depth: 28 inches

Now onto the port. I'm not positive what frequency I want to tune it to - I was thinking somewhere around 25hz, but i'm not sure. I want to have as much SPL without the SQ suffering that much. Like 60% SPL and 40% SQ. Any recommendations on what frequency I should use? And how do I go about figuring out the dimensions for the slot port/aeroport, once I have the frequency I want to tune it to?

And what are the pros and cons of using slot ports vs. aeroports?

Thanks a lot!

with those dim. the box is gonna be 5.444^ft before displacement and using 3/4" MDF.As for the different port designs I dont have a clue.I'm gonna be puttin a e15kd4 in a 3.7^ft box and tune it to 30hz.According to WinISD this is the best mix of SQ and SPL.I will be using the round Aeroports myself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.