Box Finishing Advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

Broncokid

NC
Hey, What up?

I've built a box for my two kicker 10's and i'm painting it. So far i tried to put some primer directly onto the mdf and it just ****** it right up. As of now the box has 2 coats of KILZ odorless oil-base primer. I'm thinking that i'll sand that down and put like 2 or 3 coats of a dark sandable primer on top of that and then put a couple of dark green base coats to match my truck. I found some rattle cans that are pretty close to identical to my truck paint from advance auto. After that i want to clear coat the paint to make it look nice and glossy. Does this sound like a good plan? And could i find some spray-on clear coat in a rattle can anywhere? Any help is appreciated!!!

I've never painted a box as I always use carpet... but I think what a lot of guys do is sand the box down so its smooth then brush on a coat of poyester resin... then sand that down and paint over that...

That thread is pretty good. Only thing I would do differently that will save you a lot of paint is to use deft sanding sealer before you prime. MDF soaks up A LOT of paint. the sanding sealer prevents this from happening //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer 12 oz Aerosol 01513-8

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.