Box bolts? And other questions

regizzle
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
K i wanted to wire my speaker to the box and mark what is pos what is neg using steel bolts i suppose?

So it would be 4 8 gauge wires one per terminal that goes to the box and i can quick wire it to either 2 or .5 ohm via the outside of the box.

Does any1 suggest against this concept?

and how do i do it properly? i was thinking bolt +washer + ring terminal +washer + the wood of box + washer + ring terminal +washer + nut.

Is that the proper way to do it, or would there be interference from the wood? >_

side note, currently got my 250 amp alternator from mechman last night, installing it today. should i fuse the line? and i should use a 250 amp fuse if i do right? and does the anl fuse box have to be waterproof? Its a 1996 chevy tahoe so the alternator isnt close to the ground so i dont really think theres a chance it'll get wet but yea...

Also, my altertnator has a ground post on it, Where should i put the ground? Same place i have my engine block to frame ground? (already have big 3.)

For the box you should be fine. If you really want to you can put a thin rubber washer up against the wood, but that will only do so much considering the bolt that is in contact with the wood on the threading will be in contact with it. I would suggest using wing nuts on the end just to make it easier to rewire stuff on the fly.

I wouldn't bother fusing the alt. If the connection is tight you shouldn't run into any issues. You should be concerned with the alt randomly putting out a ton of voltage rather than spikes in current.

You can keep your current engine block ground. Grounding to the alt isn't necessary, though it will reduce the resistance of your ground.

I would only use ring terminals on the inside of the box. On the outside use these:

terminalidea.jpg

I found some at my local Menards in the electrical section, they will make your life a lot easier.

sorry to hijack dont want to make another thread for 1 question...... NOW i have dual 4ohms can i only use 2 bolts insted of 4? like have both subs connected inside the box... i have no reason to be switching ohms

if you want quick disconnects sure.. if its going to be permanent or long term straight to the amp is always fine.. I think it has been shown that if you take the runs to the amp its more efficient..

I've never liked hoping the current will travel down threads. It's simply not a very good connection. I know a lot of people like ease of hookup/looks vs performance, but it's just not a good connection.

For the box you should be fine. If you really want to you can put a thin rubber washer up against the wood, but that will only do so much considering the bolt that is in contact with the wood on the threading will be in contact with it. I would suggest using wing nuts on the end just to make it easier to rewire stuff on the fly.
I wouldn't bother fusing the alt. If the connection is tight you shouldn't run into any issues. You should be concerned with the alt randomly putting out a ton of voltage rather than spikes in current.

You can keep your current engine block ground. Grounding to the alt isn't necessary, though it will reduce the resistance of your ground.
Incorrect. The additional ground is necessary with our units. Improper grounding will cause internal damage in the alternator and will be visible upon inspection if returned for warranty service. Failure to use the ground as instructed could void the warranty.

Incorrect. The additional ground is necessary with our units. Improper grounding will cause internal damage in the alternator and will be visible upon inspection if returned for warranty service. Failure to use the ground as instructed could void the warranty.

Any special way of grounding the Alt.?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.