Boston Pro60s vs Rainbow Germaniums for SQ / tweeters / mid-bass - which offers more?

Found this explanation for you guys confused about how they are wired for 3 ohms...

Originally Posted by squeak9798Passive Crossovers

Ok, passive crossover networks are unpowered crossovers (i.e. no external power source) that split the frequencies between the speakers in a component set. They send the higher frequencies to the tweeter and the lower frequencies to the mid(s). They accomplish this by using a combination of capacitors and coils to create certain crossover points and slopes. They are wired in line with the speakers, between the speakers and the amplifier. The amplifier's output is connected to the passive's input, then the mid(s) and tweeter are connected to the passive's output.

Now, when two speakers (a mid and a tweeter) are on a passive crossover, the mid and tweeter are not wired in series or parallel. Two 4ohm speakers (a mid and a tweet) do not make a 2ohm load or an 8ohm load. Two 4ohm speakers on a passive crossover network create a 4ohm load on the amplifier. Two 8ohm speakers on a passive xover create an 8ohm load. A 4ohm mid and 8ohm tweeter on a passive xover creates a 4ohm load for the mid's frequencies and an 8ohm load for the tweeter frequencies. Reason for this has to do with the fact that passive's are based on frequency distribution and not power distribution.

When you have components sets with passive crossovers, the power from the amp is not split between the speakers. If you have a 70 watt amp, then each speaker is going to receive 70 watts (assuming all speakers are the same impedance). If you are sending 70 watts @ 4ohm to the component set, and the mid is 4ohm and the tweeter is 8ohm, then the mid will receive 70 watts but the tweeter will only receive 35 watts.

This probably isn't a very technical explanation….but it gets the point across none-the-less Let's pretend theoretically that we are running a 70 watt @ 4ohm amp full range. That amp (theoretically) puts out 70 watts at all frequencies at 4ohms, correct?? Now, pretend that we are running that amp to a component set (with all 4ohm speakers) through a passive crossover with a crossover point of 3500hz. So, we are taking that full range signal from the amp and splitting up the frequencies between the mid and tweet at 3500hz. Now, since we are splitting the frequencies and nothing else, there is still going to be 70 watts worth of power at all frequencies below the crossover point and at all frequencies above the crossover point, just the same as there was before we split the signal (since it was putting out 70w at all frequencies).

Found this explanation for you guys confused about how they are wired for 3 ohms...
So 2, 4ohm sides (L+R)wired to a single channel, will be a 2ohm load on the amp, assuming 110x4@4 215x4@2? Each side would still be getting a little over 100 watts If each set was wired to 1 channel?

What would you have to run your amp at for these BA's?

get tha dayum gif outa you sig please

god, this thread= ruined

im probably going wiht the pro 60s now, getting my orion 8002 to run them with 300rms per side

im justwanting something louder without breaking the bank

So 2, 4ohm sides (L+R)wired to a single channel, will be a 2ohm load on the amp, assuming 110x4@4 215x4@2? Each side would still be getting a little over 100 watts If each set was wired to 1 channel?
What would you have to run your amp at for these BA's?
Ill try to simplify what I posted above..

If you are using the passive x-over then as long as each speaker is assigned to its own frequencies, the load on the amp does not change. (eg. 3 ohm woofer from 80-3000hz,3 ohm tweeter 3000-20000 hz = 3 ohm load on that amp channel.

You are correct in saying that 2, 4 ohm speakers in paralell = 2ohm load. but you would never do that unless you wanted shitty sound and a fried tweeter due to no x-over.

Just get the Bostons...

I just got out of my car and when tuned right, they sound like nothing you've ever heard, bet yer ass on it.

Since there's nowhere to hear Rainbows around here to compare, you're probably right, they would sound better than anything I've heard yet. ;p

Someone needs to PM the admin to let him know the //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search.gif.e79a63b2b580b39b282dff402646b704.gif fuction is broken again! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif I bet there is 25 threads on the Pro60's and SLC's each.

Wiring a comp set in off a single channel would not be a wise idea.

Well, I have 1 4chan amp to work with. Half of it is for the subs. This leaves me 2 channels for the front and rear, as front stage alone just won't cut it. Thats my main reason for wanting a better comp set. Actually sounds pretty **** good right now, considering every piece of metal in the car rattles. I did the auto EQ with the 880 mic the other day, windows rolled up, and it errored out due to engine noise:p I'm ready to say **** it and go active with that 4 channel, and buy me a Merlin.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.