Blown Mids; Replacement Suggestions

LetMyBeatPound

CarAudio.com Exclusive
I blew the Walmart 5.25 Sony 4way speakers in my dash the other day. I been wanting to replace them anyway because the bass completely over powers them anyway.

So far I have looked a quite a few speakers and component sets. The plan is to do a 3way active front stage. I have a Fosgate DSR-1 and I'm looking at amps too. If all the speakers I've looked at I am between

PRV 5" neo midranges 225wRMS $90 each

Or

Orion 6.5" XTX654 380wRMS $90 for a pair.

But I am open to more suggestions, my stock mount is 5.25" but I will more than likely be modifing it because I haven't found anything in 5.25 that I like yet.

Also wonder if I will need to amplify these right away. Or can I use my HU to run them until I have my tweets and midbass and amps all together.

Thanks for any replys in advance!

I blew the Walmart 5.25 Sony 4way speakers in my dash the other day. I been wanting to replace them anyway because the bass completely over powers them anyway.So far I have looked a quite a few speakers and component sets. The plan is to do a 3way active front stage. I have a Fosgate DSR-1 and I'm looking at amps too. If all the speakers I've looked at I am between

Or

But I am open to more suggestions, my stock mount is 5.25" but I will more than likely be modifing it because I haven't found anything in 5.25 that I like yet.

Also wonder if I will need to amplify these right away. Or can I use my HU to run them until I have my tweets and midbass and amps all together.

I think I have some 5 1/4 Kicker Resolution mids and some old school German 51/4 MB Quart mids no telling what else

I blew the Walmart 5.25 Sony 4way speakers in my dash the other day. I been wanting to replace them anyway because the bass completely over powers them anyway.So far I have looked a quite a few speakers and component sets. The plan is to do a 3way active front stage. I have a Fosgate DSR-1 and I'm looking at amps too. If all the speakers I've looked at I am between

Or

PRV will drown out your subs lol. You will need to amp them. get a soundstream 900.4 and bridge it. If you can modify to fit 6.5s then get the 6mr500 ndy. I should have a video up showing the difference in sensitivity aka loudness of the prvs against several other mids up on my youtube in a few days.

PRV will drown out your subs lol. You will need to amp them. get a soundstream 900.4 and bridge it. If you can modify to fit 6.5s then get the 6mr500 ndy. I should have a video up showing the difference in sensitivity aka loudness of the prvs against several other mids up on my youtube in a few days.
i put a pair of PRVs in my home B&W bookshelves and they romp on the other pair i have that are bone stock

i put a pair of PRVs in my home B&W bookshelves and they romp on the other pair i have that are bone stock
now imagine them on 450 watts each. The SQ alone changes with a lot more power, doesnt have the harsh sound at higher volumes, its very clean sounding with a lot of headroom.

now imagine them on 450 watts each. The SQ alone changes with a lot more power, doesnt have the harsh sound at higher volumes, its very clean sounding with a lot of headroom.
to my mind, power equals cone control. less power, less control and vice versa

to my mind, power equals cone control. less power, less control and vice versa
for me its mainly lower amounts of distortion at high outputs as well as cone control. Cheaper amps clip pretty nasty compared to expensive amps, however when you have enough headroom to never come close to clipping, there is no speaker break up caused by the amp being stressed out.

for me its mainly lower amounts of distortion at high outputs as well as cone control. Cheaper amps clip pretty nasty compared to expensive amps, however when you have enough headroom to never come close to clipping, there is no speaker break up caused by the amp being stressed out.
exactly

I think I have some 5 1/4 Kicker Resolution mids and some old school German 51/4 MB Quart mids no telling what else
You looking to sell the kicker ones? I have kicker 6x9s and I really like them so far... I think I'm gonna get the PRVs but I don't wanna build my front stage until I have everything for it. I have the Fosgate DSR-1, but I still need 8" midbass, 5"-6.5" midranges, and some good tweeters and 2 amps to power em. But I need something just for now until I have all that other stuff.

when you have enough headroom to never come close to clipping, there is no speaker break up caused by the anp being stressed out.
If only more people understood this concept and put it into practice. The sound is just so much warmer and controlled.
I've heard many systems setup like this (mine included) but an old vehicle with 6 Zapco 500.1 amplifiers comes to mind. He just had a 500.1 on every driver including the tweeters. Simple.

He never lost a driver for any reason and the stereo separation was superb, not to mention the headroom.

You looking to sell the kicker ones? I have kicker 6x9s and I really like them so far... I think I'm gonna get the PRVs but I don't wanna build my front stage until I have everything for it. I have the Fosgate DSR-1, but I still need 8" midbass, 5"-6.5" midranges, and some good tweeters and 2 amps to power em. But I need something just for now until I have all that other stuff.
PM me

I'm gonna try the 8s. Which model?

I'm gonna try the 8s. Which model?
the 8s have less sensitivity than the 6.5s for the neos along with being stamped over cast aluminium, 8s have 1.5 inch coil vs the 2 inch coil for the 6.5s, overall specs is not good compared to the 6.5s so i would not recommend the 8 inch version. There's a reason why the 8s are 30 dollars cheaper than the 6.5s Idk what the fk they were smoking...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.