Blown Crossover...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Manchicle

Hello everybody. I recently installed a set of AudioBahn ABC680V component speakers in my car, and after one side went dead, I troubleshot it down to the crossover splitting the midwoofer and tweeter. Unfortunately, its no longer under warranty and AudioBahn has since gone out of business. So here's my question. Can I buy any generic set of crossovers to replace the faulty one? I have a basic understanding of electricity and circuits, but I thought I should ask some experts first. If I bought only one, would it sound the same as the other working AudioBahn crossover, or does sound quality vary by brand? What specs should I look for? Using what I've gathered from surfing this and other forums, I found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROSSOVER-1-PAIR-2-WAY-PASSIVE-FREE-GIFT_W0QQitemZ390016873976QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Electronics_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5aced135f8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Is this what I'm looking for? Thanks guys.

whats the crossover frequencies on the audiobahn? Gotta match that. If you understand electronics then take the audiobahn apart and put in a new cap or coil, whatever burned up

Or maybe someone could talk me through repairing the old one. I've got a soldering iron and know how to solder, I just don't really know what I'm doing. Here's what my resistance tests have shown:

Continuity between Amp -, Tweeter +, Tweeter -, and Midwoofer -.

Continuity between Amp + and Midwoofer +.

Also, when I apply one lead to either Amp + or Midwoofer + and touch the other lead to one of the other four points, it reads continuity for a split second and then stops. I can do this over and over again by switching back and forth between Amp + and Mid + as my first lead, but can't seem to get it to do it using one of those two points twice in a row. Help?

you have to test each componet on the board to make sure what is good and isnt, thats as far as I can go lol, search some stuff on the internet and try to figure out how to measure the resistance of each componet, might be as simple as a 25cent capacitor

My understanding of electricity and electronics goes as far as Ohms Law, basic magnetism, and the inner workings of a car's starter circuit, alternator, and electric motors/actuators. When it comes to circuit boards, I'm lost...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.