Blind Shootout SACD vs. 8 Redbook CD Players

thylantyr
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Funny, dated 2004.

DVD Player mods

http://www.tweakaudio.com/Panasonic%20DVD%20player%20mods.html

Perhaps you saw the shootout on AudioAsylum where a $85 Panasonic DVD player beat a bunch of players...some costing as much as $10,000.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hirez&n=168630&highlight=blind+shootout&session=

The sequence of players was completely random. I also randomly selected which of the players went first so as to avoid the "everyone prefers the second player" effect. The winner was chosen by a show of hands. There were only two times when the vote was close enough that we did a second playthrough. All other shootouts resulted in a clear majority for one of the players.

From loser to winner, here's how it went:

10. Pioneer Elite DV-09 ($2200 new)

8. 47 Labs Flatfish with battery power supply and Progression DAC ($10,000)

7. Classe (can't remember the model, but older model) $3,000 or so

6. Audio Research CD-3 $5,000 or so

5. Sony DVP9000ES playing as redbook CD player $1,500

4. Meridian 588 (don't know the price)

3. Panasonic (can't remember the model number) $85

2. Sony DVP9000ES playing as an SACD player $1,500

1. Cary 306/200 $5,000

My comments:

* It's not even a level matched shootout, just out of the box - plug it in shootout.

* CD vs. SACD is not really 'apples to apples' testing, but interesting nonetheless.

* Because it's not level matched, the results indicate that the $85 player has

the potential to sound the same as the #1 and #2 players because the $85

player ranked higher than the other players it beat in the $1500 -$10,000 price

range.

Bottom line. Save your money and buy low cost players and put the savings

into something worthy of audible improvement. harr harr //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Proves the point that to most people there isn't a difference between their ears and the hole, well in the ass....

Ever consider that a lot of people with an untrained ear (most people don't, even if they think they do) think an extra amount of revieling detail sounds bad?

I have seen this happen a lot...

Ever consider that a lot of people with an untrained ear

What do people use to train their ears?

* Bowflex

* Winsor pilates

* John Basedow's fitness made simple

* Diet pills

* Jenny Craig

* Barroids[tm]

Golden ear folks have participated in so many ABX tests and failed. Their ego's

shattered.

This link I posted isn't even a level matched ABX test, it's just 'out of the box' switched,

yet they formed a conclusion that the $85 player was just as good as players costing up

to $10k.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

without level matching the test was probably more a test of volume than anything else. Things that are louder usually sound better.

Proves the point that to most people there isn't a difference between their ears and the hole, well in the ass....
Ever consider that a lot of people with an untrained ear (most people don't, even if they think they do) think an extra amount of revieling detail sounds bad?

I have seen this happen a lot...
those are the same people who like bose.

hahaha. Well without level mathing I cannot say much for this test.. but I bet if it was level matched and there was a room of 20 self proclaimed super ears, bet it would be close anyways hahaha. I LOVE it when the great golden ears get proven wrong big time. I pulled one off on a nut job that was trying to sell these little stupid stands to set under the feet of home cd players $160 per set". He swore "if I knew anything about audio, I could hear the difference" I pulled a nice crisp $50 bill out of my wallet and bet him he could not tell which feet if any I put under the nice krell cd player. He turned rather red faced and declined saying "it would be hard to tell in the bad acoustics of the store" hahaha what a nerd.

Thylantyr. Why won't you give up this crusade on proving that everything that costs a little money is worthless? I don't understand how this stupid test proves anything. I mean, what matters to a consumer is what sounds good in their home. Not a show room or test room. In MY system in MY listening room/home theater I can tell a major difference between CD, SACD and DVD-Audio 2 channel. Regardless of why this is easy for me is irrelevant to be honest. Even B & W_EE said he has tough time telling the difference between CD and SACD in his system. That is his ears. He has a HIGH dollar CD player and a universal player for playing SACDs. If he had a dedicated SACD player he might tell a difference between the 2. Who knows?

Thylantyr. Why won't you give up this crusade
....... because I think I have a chance to be in the new George Lucas movie,

the next Raiders of the Lost Ark flick... where Harrison Ford burrows a tunnel deep

in Nazi territory looking for the Golden ABX Time Machine ...... where you can compare

fantasy with the real world to figure out which is which...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif :laugh: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I was googling something and that link came up. I read it and found it to be

funny so I posted it here. Then I made some comments about it. It's up to you

to decide if that test has value, I don't care. lol ...

Even B & W_EE said he has tough time telling the difference between CD and SACD in his system. That is his ears. He has a HIGH dollar CD player and a universal player for playing SACDs. If he had a dedicated SACD player he might tell a difference between the 2. Who knows?
Well see they both are high dollar but the CD player is more high dollar than the SACD/DVD-Audio player.... Maybe it's because on the CD Player I have Nordost Cables and on the SACD player I don't... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
nG

Indeed.... I'm getting sick of these one way bash threads towards anything that some people can't afford...

Indeed.... I'm getting sick of these one way bash threads towards anything that some people can't afford...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

My work in progress audio project cost more than your 'King of the home audio section....' list of equipment. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I'm sure I've spent more money in audio than the sum of everyone on this home

audio forum.

The issue isn't about affording expensive gear or who is the King of the home

audio section like your sig claims, the issue is about spending the money wisely. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

There are many folks who think they are missing the boat because they can't afford the $10,000 player,

but in reality, there is no boat to be missed.

I think you missed the boat and are bitter about it... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If you spent that bloody much you should have a lot more to show for it than some crappy looking DIY line arrays (which you preech to be so cheap) and some PA amps....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

thylantyr

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
thylantyr
[Yoda] Belong to us all your base are...
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
thylantyr
Screenshot 2024-05-31 182935.png

Doxquzme

Jun 15, 2024
Screenshot 2024-05-31 182324.png