Blaupunkt - What a killer freaking deal!

Participant count
  • Participant list
But it's still a Blaupunkt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

So - from my personal experience it's no great deal no matter how low the price is. I just personally hate Blau headunits and will never buy another one. I wouldn't even use one if it was given to me free of charge.

....Not too sure about the tuner - FM sensitivity of 17db.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

My distaste for Blau HUs stems from having purchased one of their units (at the recommendation of a salesman back in the early days of my aftermarket car audio enthusiasm) and three units in a row frying themselves due to a faulty circuit. It was an SQR-49 Boston, specifically, and the code protection feature managed to fry the whole unit three times in a row. The first one lasted me about 3 months....got it replaced under warranty and that second unit lasted maybe 3 weeks. The 3rd, and last one, lasted less than 4 days before it did the exact same thing as the first two. After that I went back to where it was purchased and told them I refused to even consider getting anything that had the Blaupunkt name printed on it. That's when I got my first-ever Kenwood HU and I've used nothing else for a HU in my personal ride since.

Mind you, this was back in the days when dual-shaft units were all that was available (nobody has seen a single-DIN headunit at this point because they didn't exist) and I'm pretty certain that Blau has likely improved their quality control by now ~ at least one would hope so...but my horrendous experience with them leads me to neither recommend nor be willing to purchase one of their HUs ever again.

My distaste for Blau HUs stems from having purchased one of their units (at the recommendation of a salesman back in the early days of my aftermarket car audio enthusiasm) and three units in a row frying themselves due to a faulty circuit. It was an SQR-49 Boston, specifically, and the code protection feature managed to fry the whole unit three times in a row. The first one lasted me about 3 months....got it replaced under warranty and that second unit lasted maybe 3 weeks. The 3rd, and last one, lasted less than 4 days before it did the exact same thing as the first two. After that I went back to where it was purchased and told them I refused to even consider getting anything that had the Blaupunkt name printed on it. That's when I got my first-ever Kenwood HU and I've used nothing else for a HU in my personal ride since.
Mind you, this was back in the days when dual-shaft units were all that was available (nobody has seen a single-DIN headunit at this point because they didn't exist) and I'm pretty certain that Blau has likely improved their quality control by now ~ at least one would hope so...but my horrendous experience with them leads me to neither recommend nor be willing to purchase one of their HUs ever again.
Sounds like the same reason I hate Pioneer HU's. Good enough reason IMO to not buy a product ever again.

Hadn't noticed the FM spec. That does seem unusually poor.

Besides that though --

****, you guys are harsh.

My experience with blau has been completely different. I bought my first one at BB in '95 - Christmas gift from my parents. It was the only thing BB had with a decent feature set that was in my price range.

I thought it was great. Buttons eventually started to wear out, but it never skipped. Used it through '01.

Stepped up to the X-line CD189 Boston after that ($140 new). Again, great player, never skipped, would read chewed up disks w/o much trouble. Worst problem, about 4 yrs in wouldn't spit cd's all the way out, and a couple more button failures.

Upgraded to the Austin CD41 a year ago - used off ebay for $66 shipped - like new condition. Looks identical to the Boston except silver face. Added a sub out and upped pre-amps from 2 to 3v.

It's been excellent, no issues at all. I use the remote all the time so it still looks like it came out of the box yesterday.

Biggest reason to change is just because I think the look is outdated.

But blau has always treated me well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.