Birch vs 3/4 MDF SPL box

It's the same birch board that home depot carries but at $80 a board. Lumber yard out of town has the same stuff for $32
Yeah, it is a birch veneer.....means the outer layer is birch, the inside isn't. HD will not carry 4x8 sheets of BB, hence why your "lumber yard" has it for $32 a sheet.

I say stick with MDF and brace it well. In the end, how much of a difference are we really talking?
weight it is a huge difference I didn't believe it at first but after I started using birch I will never go back to mdf. a single mdf box for my gfs 12 weighed almost as much as my birch box for 2 15s

Birch Pros (13 ply birch not the ****** kind)

Light weight, easier on tools, can be stained nicely, and less dust.

Cons

Can be 2-3x the cost of MDF, if you do not know how to cut it properly the veneer can come off

MDF Pros

Cheap, easy to sand, did I mention cheap?, very dense.

Cons

HEAVY!, The formaldehyde laden dust is horrible for you, Hard on tools, can split easily

If you want the best of both worlds Trupan Light or MDF Lite will be the best between the two in terms of lightness and density.

I didn't read all of the posts, but here's my 2 cents.

Use Baltic Birch if you can afford it--real BB comes in 5'x5' sheets.

I don't recommend any other Birch ply, unless it's void free.

I've been working at a cabinet shop for 10+ years, we buy a lot of that $30 Birch---for box building, it sucks!! most of it is imported from China.

It has voids all in it , it's susceptible to de-laminating, and it's usually bowed.

Not all 13-ply is good--this Chinese shit has 13-plys. Our B grade and A grade plywoods usually have 5-plys and they're around $90 a sheet.

Used a lot of Trupan MDF as well, IMO it sucks as well---haven't built a box out of it, but built plenty of doors and cabinets out of it, and I don't like working with it.

We buy Ranger board brand MDF, and I have no problems with it.

A cabinet shop should be able to order any type of wood you want.

I've bought MDF from Lowes and Home Depot that had voids in it lol and soft spots... same with some other wood... We have a Shop here that Sales Japanese Maple 9ply i believe @ 45$ My 4cube gross box weighs less than my 2.1cube gross mdf box by about 15-20lbs easy... I tend to stay away from Lowes and Home Depot after the Last Maple ply I got from them had a 1/4 inch gap through the whole middle of the plywood

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.