big two???

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
I was reading something on crutchfield about the vehicles electrical system and one person in the comments section asked about the big three. Then a "Buck Pomerantz" from crutchfield said this....

Andrew, I believe that most of the benefits of performing "The Big Three" come from just augmenting the two ground wires you mentioned - battery negative-to-car chassis and engine block-to-car chassis. I would be very careful with the alternator-to-battery wire. The circuitry in the alternator includes diodes and current-limiters that you don't want cooked.
wtf is going on? Do you not need to upgrade the alt wire?

Alt pos to batt pos. batt neg to alt case. Alt case to engine block or frame.
alt case to engine block? its already bolted to the motor

OP do alt positive to batt positive(install fuse on this wire or 300amps for 0 guage). bat neg to chasis. and motor to chasis.

Block to chassis I guess. My stock batt is in trunk and only have the big two. Batt ground and batt pos done.

So is the guy right or wrong with what he said? He makes it sound like alt pos to batt pos upgrade isn't really needed.

Maybe for non-competitive systems?

I was reading something on crutchfield about the vehicles electrical system and one person in the comments section asked about the big three. Then a "Buck Pomerantz" from crutchfield said this....

wtf is going on? Do you not need to upgrade the alt wire?
With the factory alternator it's more important to upgrade the ground side. Watch this video' date=' skip to a bit after 2 minutes in to where Matt starts talking about engine grounds and such.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.