Big problem.

Participant count
  • Participants list

Tan Tan

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, my name is Tanner (or Tan Tan), im not a pro by any means, but I like my car audio, and audio in general. So, I bought this sub off a buddy, a JL 12W7AE3, built the box, powered it with a 1000 watt JL amp. sounds amazing, no complaints. Worked good for a couple years, then one day I went to turn on my stereo, and no umph. So, I looked back at my sub and it is pushed out and stuck and wont move, the time I used it prior, I didnt even have it up loud. And no pops any thing like that, the amp works fine. I took it out my box and looked at it some more and read online about similars issues, and just by what I observed and read, the magnet could of possibly shifted when I hit a bump or something, and there was sawdust all up inside there, but i dont think thats the problem, more so im thinking the magnet, like just by looking at it, you wouldnt be able to tell. If its the magnet shift, they say toss it, but just cause some people cant figure it out, I guess they dont want other people too. I could be wrong, since im not a professional, but if anyone could shed some like on this, id very much appreciate it, they build it, so, I dont see why you couldnt reposition it and reglue it. Thanks, from Lloydminster, Alberta

but if anyone could shed some like on this
Not the magnet. If anything, I would say overexcursion or the voicecoil became undone. In the case of the voicecoil becoming undone, you would have had to be playing hard enough to heat it to the point of glue failure. But you were playing moderately. In overexcursion, the voicecoil comes out of the gap and becomes lodged atop of the pole piece. In this case, remove the beauty ring and grab under the cone edges and see if you can pull it outwards. If yes then try to center it back in. Good luck.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...