BIG battery problem. I will pay $5 for the correct answer.

schackel
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I will paypal 5 bucks to who knows the answer this question correctly.

I dont know the answer but i will try each solution.

I have a 2003 Honda Civic LX I bought it in November of 2009.

STORY:

Someone hit me the first day i had it so 2 weeks later i got it back put in my new deck and the car would not start in the mornings because of the battery.

I then replace the battery with a new one. It seemed to be working ok, I then replace the alternator with a mechmen 220A seemed to be working ok. I then park the car for a few days and the car does not start again. THE VOLTAGE WAS 9.1! jump the car and leave it running for a bit and then turn it off. The volts are now at 12.5 and drop within 10 minutes to 10.2 volts. I take the battery out thinking that its a bad battery and the charge goes up to 11.5 after 10 minutes of being disconnected from the car.

what could be the problem?

PS: on the alternator there was this little thing that slides on the positive terminal on the old alternator. this is not on the new alt.

PPS: the battery light on the dash in the car is on while the car is on.

if he had a short a fuse would have popped and stopped the problem.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if he had a short a fuse would have popped and stopped the problem.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Could still have a short //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Also, it could be a drain somewhere, but a short would be a drain. You said it was worse or better or the same with the new alt?

You need to check for parasytic electrical drains with an ammeter or you can also use a bulb to check. Could be something stuck on (heater fan, any amount of relays, etc.) that you cant notice. Possible when you got hit it jammed something in the on position, and its slowly draining the batt overnight.

A quick fix would be to put a batt disconnect switch in it when letting it sit for a while, but to find the real problem youll need to put the meter on the batt and pull fuses from the fuse boxes until the drain stops, then you know whats causing the problem and can further trace it.

Edit: One thing i forgot to mention, there could be a shorted diode in the alt, which will cause a drain. You can check this by hooking your meter up and checking for ac voltage while the car is running.

PS: the VW dealer told my friend that the brain in the car was draining the battery because if he did not drive it everyday it would drain. This was happening to his car because there were too many keys made, the brain could not be programed to that many different keys because they are laser cut with chips inside.

PS: the VW dealer told my friend that the brain in the car was draining the battery because if he did not drive it everyday it would drain. This was happening to his car because there were too many keys made, the brain could not be programed to that many different keys because they are laser cut with chips inside.
uhh, ********

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.