Big 3 upgrade....worth it or not??

TupacThaDon1971
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
sandusky
Im running a rockford prime 1200 at 1 ohm amp....got your usual dimming and whatnot.....i was talking to the people at the car audio place and asked them about the big 3 upgrade because i was interested in it, and they said it's not really worth doing unless i up the alternator, or get another battery in the trunk.....so my question is, is it worth getting on a stock electrical system, or would i be better off without it??

I had the same issue running even less power my amp was a jl slash 500/.
I got on here and was told that a big 3 would fix my issue. Basically my factory alternator should be able to handle 1000 to 1500 watts or, so I was told. Anyways i got a big 3 and a xs d3400 battery no problems since. I actually blew my subs because the amp was now getting the proper power. I also have 0 gauge wires. My problem was that I had my ground to the amp grounded to the body and if you know electricity then you know that everything that goes out must come back into the battery and the neg wiring must be able to handle whatever the positive can meaning they should be the same gauge. The body ground wire in my car was like 10 or 12 gauge (it was the ground for my fuel pump and 2 other accessories) and it got fried!!! So when I did the big 3 it added more ground to my set up and lights havent dimmed since. Now if i could just get some new subs. PS. Dont buy low level kicker subs they were brand new and, rated at 300w rms I had 250w going to each sub and 2 days after the upgrade they smoked like a chimney

Yes and no. Those guys at the shop are partially correct. The issue is those smallish factory wiring restricts the current flow to and from the alt/battery whereas a bigger better good quality wire will be much better. Yes a HO alt will help, but they are $$$ for a good quality one, not from Amazon nor Ebay because they were $140 for a 300 amperage, I bet it's a stock one.

what would be a cheaper battery to look into for the future??...and how long would a car audio battery last is my real question, because i've seen used but never known how long they actually last??

what would be a cheaper battery to look into for the future??...and how long would a car audio battery last is my real question, because i've seen used but never known how long they actually last??

sometimes 8 years if you are lucky, a lot of times 2 to 4 years and if you drew the short end of the straw, less than a year. You never know when you gonna get a lemon, get one with good warranty.

As for the big 3, if you have 4 gauge stock power and grounds, big 3 wont do sh*t for your current power level. If its stock 10 gauge or lower then yeah it'll help out a lot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.