Big 3 upgrade, starter failure. HELP

Participant count
  • Participant list

vnisme
10+ year member

So I recently just did the big 3 to my vehicle.. at first my car was turning on like a charm, it normally sounds weaker. A few days go by and I notice that when I start the ignition, the starter sounds explosive, and starting my car sounded a little scary.. after a few times hearing this explosive sound, my car would not crank anymore. I just heard the starter whining.. I took out the extra big 3 wires, but it still would not start. Anyone have an explanation why it would run great for a few days and now my cars dead? Battery seemed like it had juice, I just could not start... I drive a 2005 honda accord. Wires were secure and tight, fused from alt to batt. Help!

It did... I just had it changed, and my baby fired right up.... I don't get it... where did I go wrong? I really want to have my big 3 upgrade, but not if it means that my starter will die on me, or more electrical problems arising... Do you think the starter was just already on the route to failure? It's just so weird this happens after the big 3.....

Can someone who really knows this topic go over the big 3 with me? Now looking at all the sites, some sources say the big 3 are alt/batt, neg/ chassis ground, and engine ground/chassis ground, and I see other places saying that it should be alt/batt, neg/chassis ground, and alt ground/neg. I upgraded the engine ground to chassis ground instead of alternator ground to negative battery post.. Will not upgrading my grounding from my alternator cause my starter to fail?

You had a weak starter. If your tire would have went flat you wouldn't blame that on the big 3. Cars have parts that fail on a routine basis. Assuming your car is 11 years old and has over 100k or close.... Parts failures will occur.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.