Big 3 upgrade and HO Alt

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jrwill

Here's my question. I'm upgrading from my stock 85a alt to a new high output 150amp one. While I do this work I figured I would do the big 3 upgrade a well. My question is from the alt + to batt + what size inline fuse should I use? 100a? Or bigger and match the max output of the new alt at 150a fuse?

depends if you are keeping the factory wiring as well. if so, you have a parallel path and current will be split (not equally, but based on wire resistance). if that is the case, the 100A fuse is probably fine.

you're fusing at the battery to protect the battery. i'd go with a 150A fuse as close to the battery terminal as possible (assuming you are using good quality 4awg or larger). you don't want to replace that fuse, it's just there for protection due to a short.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.