Big 3, Fuse or no Fuse????

OK, I'm getting very conflicting info, some say yes, some say no.

I'm doing the big 3 upgrade and some are saying yes definitely use a fuse in between the battery and the alternator or you risk burning your car up, and others say nah, you don't need it...Well which is it????

If you feel the work that your going to perform to your vehicle will not be safe in the long run put a fuse. If you fell your work is top notch and do not believe there will be an accident. Don't put a fuse.

If you route the wire properly, so it doesn't rub on anything then a fuse might not be needed. Now if you get in an accident that's another story. Might end up with an arc welder under the hood. To me the $10-15 for a fuse is worth the peace of mind...

If you route the wire properly, so it doesn't rub on anything then a fuse might not be needed. Now if you get in an accident that's another story. Might end up with an arc welder under the hood. To me the $10-15 for a fuse is worth the peace of mind...
I'm not worried about cost. I'm trying to think practical, I mean the idea behind the big 3 is to increase voltage flow by using a bigger wire, then you put a tiny fuse in between, isn't that kind of like a bottleneck in the flow??

protect your alternator, use a fuse. forget that bottleneck theory. its only for a short distance. Last thing you want is for a wire to slip or ground out and destroy your car's electrical system or worse yet start a fire. I mean u fuse the wire going to your car audio right? why wouldn't u fuse the wire from your alt as well? Common sense saves money and in some cases lives

So it sounds like most would say to use the fuse. Hmmm, I guess if it is not going to have a negative effect I will use a fuse. I plan on using 0 Gauge wire so you think a 300 amp fuse would be what I need?

reason why a large anl fuse doesnt hurt you too bad is b/c its solid and not a stranded wire //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

to be 100% safe use a fuse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Plus, I have heard that the greatest quality install could end up shorting the car out when it is ripped out by a thief. No need to be minus a system and with a burned out car, huh?

We all know it is possible. Just use a fuse, really close to the positive battery terminal on the positive power wire attached to that terminal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.