Best ways to brace a roof

Buck
5,000+ posts

little alien on campus
I need to brace my roof. Deadning just isn't going to cut it. I've been talking and looking around, thinking mdf is going to be needed to be attached to my roof, then foam all the cracks where you can't put mdf.

But any tips on this? Never done anything like this before.

***Bumpin' if you are looking at this you know I'm gonna need you one this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could make ribs out of MDF, cut to perfectly match the contour of the metal. then you need an adhesive that will bond the metal to the MDF - i think resin and fiberglass would get the two to become one. the ribs should have a flat bottom that would allow you to then attach a flat MDF panel in place of your factory headliner. the result would be a very rigid roof that won't flex. for support, i would brace the roof off of the pillars, again with fiberglass chopped mat, resin, and MDF. booya

if you tried to weld to the roof you'd discolor the paint anyway.

you could make ribs out of MDF, cut to perfectly match the contour of the metal. then you need an adhesive that will bond the metal to the MDF - i think resin and fiberglass would get the two to become one. the ribs should have a flat bottom that would allow you to then attach a flat MDF panel in place of your factory headliner. the result would be a very rigid roof that won't flex. for support, i would brace the roof off of the pillars, again with fiberglass chopped mat, resin, and MDF. booya
if you tried to weld to the roof you'd discolor the paint anyway.
That's what I thought, but they is some epoxy that supposedly bonds metal on metal.

Fiberglass. It dries very rigid, and can be applied in layers until the desired rigidity of the roof is achieved.
I've never done fiberglass before, I would have no clue where to begin, especially on the roof, that'd be a lot of fiberglass, and very expensive wouldn't it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.