Best sealed subs for impact tight bass and rock?

Kybassbwoy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Kentucky
I've always been a sealed guy and I like to listen to everything. I definitely prefer running 4 or more smaller subwoofers instead of one or two larger so I can push them harder and get the snappy response of 8s or 10s. I am not overly brand loyal just looking for the best deals out in subs that fit this bill. Any and all suggestions appreciated haven't been shopping lately, thanks again!
P.S. wanting to run around 2k rms, and have a gutted s10 so 2.2 cubes net to work with and mounting depth needs to be 5 in or less.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Savard Hi-Q drivers in the 8" and 10" are decent drivers.

DD Audio make some great drivers especially their low profile units.

@Anthony0 has some really nice 10 inch subs that should sound really great and at a hella Deal on them!! Excellent guy to deal with too

Dayton Reference and Adire Koda. Both are available at PartsExpress.
Kodas like big sealed boxes and can't handle power.

I shredded the surround on my 8 in .4ft³ and 350w

My 10s on 1000w for the pair one coil failed within 3 weeks. .8ft³ sealed each

All on clean power with no sound or indicator of strain just the rattle of failure.

Which ***** because they sound good but they just can't take power nor do they get very loud.

Kodas like big sealed boxes and can't handle power.

I shredded the surround on my 8 in .4ft³ and 350w

My 10s on 1000w for the pair one coil failed within 3 weeks. .8ft³ sealed each

All on clean power with no sound or indicator of strain just the rattle of failure.

Which ***** because they sound good but they just can't take power nor do they get very loud.
They're rated for 250wrms, so you were overpowering them, especially the poor 10s. XBL subs sound really clean at their limits due to the flat BL curve, so you don't get as much notice of impending doom. The other problem with XBL is it really reveals clipping whether it's coming from the amp or the recording. I've run into a few CDs that I literally could not listen to with my Brahma because there was clipping in the recording.

Kodas aren't the subs I'd pick for "abuse." None of the subs I suggested would be subs that I would beat on. Looks like OP has a lot of power on tap, maybe some Alpine Type S subs? OP is in a catch 22. He has the power, but he needs xmax to create SPL - not a lot shallow (5" deep) subs with xmax over ~15mm. Any shallow subs out there with big diameter coils?

They're rated for 250wrms, so you were overpowering them, especially the poor 10s. XBL subs sound really clean at their limits due to the flat BL curve, so you don't get as much notice of impending doom. The other problem with XBL is it really reveals clipping whether it's coming from the amp or the recording. I've run into a few CDs that I literally could not listen to with my Brahma because there was clipping in the recording.

Kodas aren't the subs I'd pick for "abuse." None of the subs I suggested would be subs that I would beat on. Looks like OP has a lot of power on tap, maybe some Alpine Type S subs? OP is in a catch 22. He has the power, but he needs xmax to create SPL - not a lot shallow (5" deep) subs with xmax over ~15mm. Any shallow subs out there with big diameter coils?
I don't disagree with anything you said. I was just sharing my experiences.

I'm used to running sundown and dd and the like so the kodas were different. Maybe I never did clip them because they never sounded funny they always sounded clean. I still have 1 10 in my truck running on 500ish watts.

I do think part of it is how d4s designs amps to be extremely dynamic on a dyno since this mm1000 iirc dynos nearly 1500 at 1ohm dynamic. So it's clean power just too much of it.

Well I stand corrected according to the amp dyno I may have been sending rather extreme levels of power for these subs.

so technically I have 1 koda 10 at 2ohm and it's surviving but it's not exactly loud even on 4x the rated power.

My dumbass over simplified things. Usually a 1000w at 1ohm amp makes 500w at 2 and 250w at 4ohm if i wouldve paid more attention i likely wouldve just ran them at 4ohm instead
Screenshot_20240603_164145_YouTube.jpg

I still stand by the fact that they need a large box though.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with anything you said. I was just sharing my experiences.

I'm used to running sundown and dd and the like so the kodas were different. Maybe I never did clip them because they never sounded funny they always sounded clean. I still have 1 10 in my truck running on 500ish watts.

I do think part of it is how d4s designs amps to be extremely dynamic on a dyno since this mm1000 iirc dynos nearly 1500 at 1ohm dynamic. So it's clean power just too much of it.
DD's are in a different category. I remember when the Brahma originally came out a lot of people had issues with them being "low output" especially in sealed apps. That motor design is cleaner sounding than most people are used to. XBL is a little inefficient compared other motor designs too. I hope your last Koda survives - maybe rewire it to 8 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...