Best navigation head unit and why?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Money's no object?

AVIC-Z130BT - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with DVD Playback, Built-In Bluetooth®, and 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA

Sleek design, BT phone calls are crystal on both ends, includes traffic tuner instead of buying an extra break-out box or a sat radio subscription, you can voice control almost everything - and it doesn't **** at it, Pandora radio control via iPhone, 3D map displays are rendered better than previous units, ability to sync google map info from computer in home to unit (via iPhone App), DA converter is 96 kHz/24-bit, 10-bit video DA converter, takes all major video and movie formats, 4 volt pre-outs, SDHC slot (larger memory cards), make the UI and buttons any color you want... no map DVDs. I've found it for about 800 bucks through a simple google.

In my opinion, you won't find one better at double-DIN size. The build quality is there, the hi-grade hardware is there, the polished interface is there, and all the features and functions of todays tech world plus some.Though that's biased as I don't know every Nav unit out there. In my playing with other units from other companies, I've found pioneers user interface more desirable. And for me, UI is a major selling point. Everyone's doing the iPhone connectivity thing lately.. Not all of us has one. If you do, then you've got more fun to nerd on. Of course, since not everyone has one, they don't include the cable... all companies do this move. I believe PAC makes a cheaper version of the exact same cable.

Kenwood now uses garmin's nav system. That's their major, and only, selling point as Garmin is still considered the best when it comes to navigation. However in playing with them I don't like the interface and layout, felt very last decade, super sluggish and cartoonish... This is personal taste, however. In order to get half of the options to work, you had to purchase a bunch of pricey add-ons, which I also think is very last decade.

The only things eclipse has going for them is a really nice looking map display in 3D and 5 volt pre-outs.. other than that it lacks in features.

That's all I got for now

Awesome guys thanks for all of your inputs! I have the Avic-120bt on its way from Amazon getting it tomorrow! Can't wait! I also got the steering wheel hook up kit, rear camera, and sirius kit! Happy holidays everyone!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.