best location for tweeters?

steelfish
10+ year member

I was just wandering what you guys think is the best place to mount tweeters, I know ultimately the position of the tweeter can be very different in every car that's why I showing a pic of my door, in the A-pillar, on the rear view mirror pointing right at the passenger and passenger tweeter pointing at me, next to the door handle or closer to the midrange?

puertadondetweeteras.jpg

I've read to mount the tweeter closer to the midrange speaker lower on the door but my door doesn't have to much available space and the spot where I put the yellow circle is too close to my legs, but on the other hand, I've always been told to have the tweeter higher up so it's closer to your ears instead of pointing to your lap (unlike the midrange speaker).

this will be my first speaker install and i want to take the time to make them sound the best they possibly can, so what area suits best for installation and why.

thanks in advance

what car is this? I think it'd be closest to your head in the red circle depending on how big your head is. Red circle would also be the easiest to install it because that sail panel is already angled.

what car is this? I think it'd be closest to your head in the red circle depending on how big your head is. Red circle would also be the easiest to install it because that sail panel is already angled.
the car is a small Ford Fiesta HB 2005 (looks like a Honda Fit in size and interior space)

the tweeter is a Focal access 165a1 comp set

and the sail panel is not really angled it looks angled only in the pic but is pretty much flat straight

i've installed tweeters in each location you identify (in various vehicles over the years). green is easily blocked by knees. blue means you permanently de-value the car. red lets you replace that part later on, but since it has the mirror controls in it, you might not be able to use that location. why are you set on the doors? where are the crossovers being mounted?

i use velcro to test tweeter locations. you can even fold it to make angles. you should test if you want to do it right. no vehicle or speaker is the same. every install requires testing to determine what is optimum.

tweeters can be separated from the woofers if the crossover point is high enough. the concern with separation is phase interference from different path lengths and overlapping response. since tweeters determine sound stage height (for the most part), putting them low makes sound seem to come from your knees/feet. moving them high moves the "location" of the sound. with some simple time alignment you can create a sound stage across your dash - with proper tweeter placement.

a-pillars (the part inside the car that runs along the windshield from roof to dash) are popular because you can get at ear height, you are farther away from you, and there is usually enough space to recess or partially recess the tweeter.

aiming is also important. aiming should be tested as well.

i've installed tweeters in each location you identify (in various vehicles over the years). green is easily blocked by knees. blue means you permanently de-value the car. red lets you replace that part later on, but since it has the mirror controls in it, you might not be able to use that location. why are you set on the doors? where are the crossovers being mounted?
a-pillars (the part inside the car that runs along the windshield from roof to dash) are popular because you can get at ear height, you are farther away from you, and there is usually enough space to recess or partially recess the tweeter.

aiming is also important. aiming should be tested as well
well as you can see in this new pic RED location can be done even with the mirror control, some friends with the same car had done it before but I just wanted to ask you if that a good location for the tweeter

Kickerleftside.jpg

Im really not set in the door only, but the a-pillar in this compact car is almost as close to the driver than the mirror black triangle just not same height but almost same distance and I was heard that put tweeters in the dash is not really a good idea

what about aiming? is every car different too or there is any rule of the thumb? like right side aiming to driver ears and left side aiming to passenger ears, tweeter aiming to the windshield?

I read somewhere that is good for sound stage aim the tweeter to the center of the roof, is that correct?

The best place for your tweeters is the place you choose after connecting them and listening to them and moving them around. No substitute. People like different sound stages some like them taller, some like them wider, it's up to you man. You could think about where you want them and how it will affect your stage, but the only sure way to be satisfied is to test.

The best place for your tweeters is the place you choose after connecting them and listening to them and moving them around. No substitute. People like different sound stages some like them taller, some like them wider, it's up to you man. You could think about where you want them and how it will affect your stage, but the only sure way to be satisfied is to test.
exactly what i was thinking when i read the title. good post.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.