Best general X-over point for Bass Music?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
I am curious. If one just wanted to play bass music and do it LOUD (3KW+) and didn't want to miss any high or low bass notes, where do you cross things over?

I have been listening to some Quad Maximus, very good for bass from way low to high, borderline midbass, tones and my current setup looses the higher bass notes. I know port tuning, x-over and other factors matter here... so what are they? What does one need to do to say make a pair of 12's hit every note from 10hz to 100hz and do it loud?? Or very close to it. When I think about it I see a graph for the sub with 2 or three peaks spread across the range from 10hz to 100hz like an M or W shape. Of course there is cabin gain to think of and port tunings... ughh. The only enclosure I can think of is a 6th order. Is this a doable idea or what is the best way to get close to this?

Last edited:
10-100hz is a wide enough bandwidth and you want it loud on top of that? There has to be a sacrifice made somewhere.

To get the bandwidth you will sacrifice spl. To get the spl you will sacrifice transient ability.

6th orders are not some magic fix all problems boxes. There is a lot of give and take to consider when designing one.

Cross the subs lower and use a 3 or 4 way active front stage.

You have to think about it in terms of resonance with subwoofers. 10-100 is a pretty wide range, so you're going to get pretty bad quality and volume as you go up if you tune it low enough to actually hear notes in that bottom range (well, not 10 but you'd feel it if tuned low enough). The lowest bass notes are where you need power since your ears aren't as good at hearing that range. If you truly want the entire base range to be loud and clean then you may have to separate it into two different enclosures. Sealed would get you way higher range than that but it starts to fall apart without tons of power just as the ported or 6th order is picking up steam depending on how it's tuned.

Maybe I should say that the way you make 2 12's hit every note between 10 and 100 plus do it loud is to separate the chambers and have two different types of enclosures, the low tuning to the back and the high tuning to the front. With 3kw you'll be able to bend the rules a little bit with a sealed flat response getting quite low, but you'll probably be disappointed with the low end if you don't have at least one resonant peak down there near the inaudible range.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.