Best file format for SQ

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have been experiencing really weird source problems, some songs sound great and others retarded.. They are all MP3s connected to my Pioneer 80PRS via USB (Hard Drive in my glove box). I want to try a different format to get better quality and stop this stupidity (well try to). What is the absolute best I can use as far as file format is concerned? WAV? if so does the 80PRS support it?

Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Browse through your mp3s on your computer and look at the bitrate. You'll want no less than 256 kbps before you start to notice the treble getting worse if you compare the same known song at different bitrates. Although not even the best quality digital file will make a poorly produced song sound good. I'm not at all a believer in using WAV files or lossless codecs. I buy 256 kbps mp3s and I stick with music from bands I already know or look for known good sounding albums based on recommendations.

FLAC would be ideal for me as I've got over 7000albums encoded this way on my HD's but alas it's not to be. Not in the car anyway. **** shame really. CD is your best bet followed by MP3's encoded at 320kbps. Anything less is pointless IMO.

FLAC 16bit is the best you can get a car stereo to play. My Samsung Galaxy S3 phone has 20 full albums from HDTracks.com all in 24bit 96hz FLAC which I down converted to 16bit FLAC 44.1hz. I can play them via Blue Tooth or the mini audio cable in the AUX port. When I get my new SOny 701HD receiver installed I will be able to connect using the USB cable. Hope that helps.

Not a bad solution but you're still using the DAC in the phone which I'm betting isn't all that hot and probably not as good as the on-board DAC's fitted in higher end HU's.

I'd like to see a HU with HDMI output to a stand-alone DAC and from there to the amp. Now I'd pay good money for that. Why the ICE industry hasn't moved to more modern interfaces and file formats before now baffles me.

Just an opinion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.